UAZ 469 Cylinder Head Gasket

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

aardvark64

Re: UAZ 469 Cylinder Head Gasket

Post by aardvark64 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:07 pm

No gasket as yet, so decided to do an oil change with the manifolds off.

The old filter was rusted solidly onto the block: destroyed my old chain tool trying to get it off and resorted to a screwdriver. Very satisfying....

Best wishes, Colin
Trabant - Kleinwagen mit Grosser Zukunft

.... photobucket ate my signature, Flickr put it back ...

YA3, 3иL - If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand...

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Got the Uaz started this evening. It the first time it's been fired up in almost a year.

Had some fun. For example, the pipe carrying the water for the cabin heater had rusted and fell apart at the elbow.

Sawed the pipe off and replaced it with a rubber section. Also made a new support bracket 'cos the old one was badly rusted:

Not sure where this pipe on the crankcase breather connects to? I put in a short tube to a spare stub on the K-129 carburettor. I have no idea if the two things need to be blanked off or joined in this way? Any thoughts welcome.

With the light fading fast, I primed the fuel pump and then the carburettor. The engine spluttered into life reluctantly with the help of 'Easy Start' and backfired a few times. Seemed to take a lot of cranking to get going. But it did run for almost a minute and in that time I adjusted the accelerator pedal, choke and the hand-throttle lever. Didn't dare to try move the beast under its own steam: that's tomorrow evening's project.

Best wishes, Colin

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Got the UAZ running a lot better tonight. A mechanic friend came round with his timing strobe and basically condemned the distributor. He got the engine to run to the point where it idles without backfiring at least.

The dwell angle in the distributor was either 20 degs or 40 degs - nothing else, just those two angles only. No fine adjustment at all. The top half of the distributor rocks back and forth and you can feel the rotor arm clipping the pegs inside on one side of the cap. The condenser is shot and the points need more of a clean than I could manage. So that's the next set of things to replace.

But the UAZ started and ran for almost an hour with the help of fresh fuel. It ran to the point where I moved it off the place where it's been sat for over a year and it got up the steep drive, as though it were going for a run. I chickened out at that point 'cos I was on my own with the kids in the house and hadn't checked how tight the wheel nuts were. Reversed it back down reluctantly, but it wanted to go. So I did a few more 3-point turns in hi/lo range and 2wd/4wd, just to make sure the gearbox and transfer box were working. The clutch needs adjusting, but that's okay. No grinding noises otherwise.

Not much brake efficiency despite having adjusted the shoes. The brakes have been bled through twice with no air, so maybe the master cylinder needs a refurb? It doesn't have a slave cylinder, is it worth fitting one of the later ones?

Best wishes, Colin

Mockba mule

Post by Mockba mule » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:32 pm

HI,

I had my oil looked like some kind of goo so I started to do the Cilinder head gasket of our 452.
When rebuilding I wrecked a stud bolt. I had "new" ones from Tarmot or Russian spares (I can't recall).
but when fitted a new one and trying to torque the bolts the, thread of studs broke again, and then again. with a torque less then 5,7 kpm. and as stated above the torque should be 7,3-7,8.

The studs are hardend steel with the M11x1 thread.
Am I doing something wrong or are the studs junk?

@funkypete, Mine also got a bit of tin in the water journal.
UAZ 452 -1984

Mockba mule

Post by Mockba mule » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:48 am

OK, I Think I have found the problem, I have one stud bolt left and on coincidence I found the bolt quite loose on the stud. measuring the stud it came on an diameter of 10,60mm instead of 11mm and the bolt has an inner diameter of 10,15 instead of 9,9mm. so a shortage of flesh seams to be my problem....
got the cilinder head on a torque of 5,7 kpm, except on on 5 or so. head seems good for now......... :-s
UAZ 452 -1984