Gaz equipment question

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Kansas GAZ69

Gaz equipment question

Post by Kansas GAZ69 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:16 pm

Does anyone know what that hold down that is in the first passenger side storage compartment is for on my GAZ 69M? Does anybody have a diagram as to how all equipment is to be stowed on a GAZ69?
I have some fragmentary information from catalogs and one not very good NVA manual but that is it (I did just win an old Soviet manual on E-bay but it has not arrived yet). While we are on the subject- what is supposed to go in the recess below the driver's seat next to the battery?

Bill
Gaz 69M, MV-750M Soviet military motorcycle, Ural M-72, Trabant Kombi

Lahti35

Re: Gaz equipment question

Post by Lahti35 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:37 am

An oil can goes behind the passenger seat in that first compartment. I had a picture of it on my last PC but lost it when the hard drive died. From one of my manuals:

"Oil tank.......... on GAZ-69M automobile to be found at right side in box placed under rear seat at front. On GAZ-69AM automobile to be found in luggage compartment at right side."

I'm sure you know that the engine preheater goes on the left side behind the drivers seat.
Keeper of the local Soviet stuff.... What is that?.. It's a what?.... Where do you get parts for that?

Kansas GAZ69

Post by Kansas GAZ69 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks!
I wonder if anybody has a photo of the can? I might already have one sitting in the parts pit!

Actually, I did not know that the pre-heater went behind the drivers seat.
One of my manuals shows the canvas top stored behind the drivers seat. An old Soviet catalog shows it stored below the bench on the drivers side. I don't think I am smart enough to fold it well enough to get it behind the drivers seat.

Bill

iannima

Post by iannima » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:30 am

I have been thinking about this question for some time... I don't think I can answer it definitively as there are too many fittings in many nooks and corners that are simply not explainable and it is in any case true that each army would fit things differently. But this stretcher has just appeared on Todor's website:
http://www.russianspares.com/catalog/pr ... 72c8c0c7ca
Now IF I had a two door Gaz, I would definitely want :lol: ...
Below I have copied and pasted some of the equipment drawings that are to be found on the Russian technical manual which is in the download section of this forum.
There you can see that the passenger seat can be folded forward so that a stretcher can be fixed to its back. It would be very useful as sleeping quarters to avoid the hassle of a separate tent :D
Unfortunately for me (and any other with a 4 door) nothing of the kind can be done without dismantling the back rest of the rear seat which makes bringing a tent along a better option. :lol:

iannima

Post by iannima » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:33 am

The diagram below that show where to put shovel and axe :roll: On the German forum someone had suggested that in general the shovel would be stowed inside the vehicle UNLESS the space was taken by other equipment (radio etc.) in which case it would be relocated on the side of the engine hood:
An attractively logical explanation... but that's probably why I don't FULLY believe it :lol:

iannima

Post by iannima » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:41 am

The Diagrams on the right together show the various ways of stowing away the various contraptions that form the upper portion of the vehicle with the side windows going in that compartment in the tailgate. An interesting idea but I continue to think that a shattered glass is the MOST likely outcome :lol: ... And in any case, how is that to be done with a 4 door Gaz where there are as many as four window frames? In any case I cannot even try it, as that space has been rendered largely useless with bolt housings having been welded through to fix the jerry can holder to the tailgate (an NVA feature).
I think that folding a used hood, hard and bristle from usage, into a compact mass that can be strapped on to the back bench seat, stuck under the driver's seat, or strapped to its back rest, is WILDLY optimistic :roll:
I do like however the idea of the two main hood loops doubling up as hand rails for the back. It is not clear to me where the door frame surrounds would go, but one guesses in the tailgate space...

iannima

Post by iannima » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:47 am

As I was hinting earlier the location of the equipment would vary from army to army. For the NVA this seems customary:
with the fire extinguisher mounted on a bracket that is held down by the bolts of the gearbox cover. The first aid box is in the passenger foot-well with a fitting that I have yet to understand fully. I have the box but need to figure out how to put it there...
I think that Russian vehicles would have the fire extinguisher mounted in that position.
The two little flags are used for signalling. I think they are red and white in the Soviet army but red and yellow in the NVA. The black and white tube can be lit by batteries and it is for directing traffic. I suspect that arrangement to be home made...
Last edited by iannima on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iannima

Post by iannima » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:11 am

And of course, these being military vehicles, there HAVE to be fittings for weapons :roll: and Kalashnikov in particular. These are actually very different between the Soviet army and the NVA.
This is the Soviet fitting:
http://www.russianspares.com/catalog/pr ... cts_id=155
And here is the NVA one:
The bottom rubber housing for the butt was on the passenger side on my vehicle (and it was a nightmare to shift :roll: ...) I have found evidence of there having been a bracket on the door pillar which must have held the clasp for the handguard. I subsequently found a photograph of the arrangement on the German forum. Of course this latter arrangement is for a 4 door Gaz where things are necessarily more complicated as there is less room to play with. I have recently seen photographs of Andrew's Gaz 69 A (=asg) and have noticed the fittings on the driver's side too, which would make a lot of sense as the driver HAS to put his weapon somewhere safe, but it is not clear to me yet where the butt fitting would go without fouling the battery. Ah well this is one of the many things I want to see at Beltring... :roll:
Last edited by iannima on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lahti35

Post by Lahti35 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:01 pm

I can confirm the Radio truck/equipment storage theory!

My ex NVA radio Gaz has the shovel moved over the front right fender. Axe is still under the rear seat.

Glad you posted pictures of the gun holder, i'd never seen them from the inside! I feel i could squeeze a ppsh41 in there 8)

Still waiting for parts from bulgaria... instead of driving around town :(
Keeper of the local Soviet stuff.... What is that?.. It's a what?.... Where do you get parts for that?

iannima

Post by iannima » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:32 pm

I forgot to add that the DDR clasp is made to fit a variety of tools. The metal clasp itself looks to be identical in all cases, but the rubber mouldings that line its inside are different. So you can get some for fitting the shovel handle or over round sectioned object. It is an eminently more secure and durable system for fitting tools and whatnot to a vehicle than the canvas straps that I routinely have to refit to my Land Rover... :roll:
The Kalashnikov clasp has a rather flat and square moulding and it will fit the rifle at the foremost end of the gas block. I am sure it can also accommodate the Ppsh 41 but I think you will have to use the stick magazine and not the drum one :roll: Sorry...

Lahti35

Post by Lahti35 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:58 pm

iannima wrote:I am sure it can also accommodate the Ppsh 41 but I think you will have to use the stick magazine and not the drum one :roll: Sorry...
No sorry about it.... stick mag I have :D

asg

Post by asg » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Here are pictures of the bracket's for the Rifle/ machine Gun on my Gaz69 commander

iannima

Post by iannima » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:24 am

WOW :o ! Andrew! whenever I see photographs of your Gaz I get VERY envious :roll: :lol:
Any way, my feeling is that -predictably- this is yet another variant which is different from the Soviet and the DDR fittings. Which stands to reason because the Poles would have done something of their own design. I am not even sure it is meant for a Kalashnikov. When we meet at Beltring we could try with my two purely progressive, and safely de-activated rifles 8) ... :lol:

Kansas GAZ69

Post by Kansas GAZ69 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm

iannima wrote:I forgot to add that the DDR clasp is made to fit a variety of tools. The metal clasp itself looks to be identical in all cases, but the rubber mouldings that line its inside are different. So you can get some for fitting the shovel handle or over round sectioned object. It is an eminently more secure and durable system for fitting tools and whatnot to a vehicle than the canvas straps that I routinely have to refit to my Land Rover... :roll:
The Kalashnikov clasp has a rather flat and square moulding and it will fit the rifle at the foremost end of the gas block. I am sure it can also accommodate the Ppsh 41 but I think you will have to use the stick magazine and not the drum one :roll: Sorry...
This a great photo of the weapon holder. I have the base, but the top part is missing. The upper clamp is available on Ebay.de. It looks like I need to get one!

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Some good looking vehicles there but I have learnt my lesson - something that nice is not for me. I just want to keep it running. My 452 will keep its Finnish camo for the time being.

iannima

Post by iannima » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Eastblock wrote: something that nice is not for me.
same for me 8)

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:23 pm

I am not in any way being critical of the focus that people have on perfect restorations, I think it is very impressive, but I would urge people to occasionally drive the vehicles in a carefully chosen location and see what they are capable of. It is possible to do some off-roading without damaging them and I promise you will see your vehicle in a different light and respect it even more.

I will do a body off restoration on my Uaz in a few years time and do a "stop the rot and re-enforce" type restoration. and I look forward to it but having played with it off road I could not go back to just driving it on tarmac and I don't have the discipline to do the kind of restoration that Andrew did on his Uaz.
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

Kansas GAZ69

Post by Kansas GAZ69 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Kansas GAZ69 wrote:
iannima wrote:I forgot to add that the DDR clasp is made to fit a variety of tools. The metal clasp itself looks to be identical in all cases, but the rubber mouldings that line its inside are different. So you can get some for fitting the shovel handle or over round sectioned object. It is an eminently more secure and durable system for fitting tools and whatnot to a vehicle than the canvas straps that I routinely have to refit to my Land Rover... :roll:
This a great photo of the weapon holder. I have the base, but the top part is missing. The upper clamp is available on Ebay.de. It looks like I need to get one!
If anybody wants one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

This looks like the NVA weapons holder in the picture to me anyway!
I just bought one.

Kansas GAZ69

Post by Kansas GAZ69 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Ditch wrote:I am not in any way being critical of the focus that people have on perfect restorations, I think it is very impressive, but I would urge people to occasionally drive the vehicles in a carefully chosen location and see what they are capable of. It is possible to do some off-roading without damaging them and I promise you will see your vehicle in a different light and respect it even more.

I will do a body off restoration on my Uaz in a few years time and do a "stop the rot and re-enforce" type restoration. and I look forward to it but having played with it off road I could not go back to just driving it on tarmac and I don't have the discipline to do the kind of restoration that Andrew did on his Uaz.
My GAZ 69 will be driven off road! It already has seen a bit of travel on minum maintence roads. The MV-750M (motorcycle) was restored by me. It has seen a lot of HARD use since then. Always driven on gravel roads sometime off road- sometimes flipped upside down!

dawidbajorek

Post by dawidbajorek » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 pm

iannima wrote:WOW :o ! Andrew! whenever I see photographs of your Gaz I get VERY envious :roll: :lol:
Any way, my feeling is that -predictably- this is yet another variant which is different from the Soviet and the DDR fittings. Which stands to reason because the Poles would have done something of their own design. I am not even sure it is meant for a Kalashnikov. When we meet at Beltring we could try with my two purely progressive, and safely de-activated rifles 8) ... :lol:
There is another model of fittings for AK-47, of course done in Poland.
There is even special manual in poland for my version, how to assemble all eguipment
http://www.mojalbum.com.pl/GroteFoto-GUEI8XXS-1.jpg
http://www.mojalbum.com.pl/GroteFoto-EY3ALJGT-1.jpg
Gaz 46, Gaz 69/rsM1, Gaz 69A 1954, Uaz 469 rs, K-750