Ural 375 - ZIL375 Motor

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

vtunimog

Ural 375 - ZIL375 Motor

Post by vtunimog » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 pm

During the height of the pandemic last spring a collector here in the States contacted me that his father had a Ural 375 he purchased in an auction from the US Army back in 1998. It is a 1977 Ural 375 cab and chassis that was imported for 'documentation and testing' Usually these trucks were used for targets at various missle/gun ranges but this and a few others escaped scrapping or destruction. It was sold for 'off road use' but the buyer didn't care. He parked it in 2009 in a hay barn in Northern New York. Never registered it and used it to haul large bales of hay now and then. In 2012 it put a rod through the lower block, the engine was removed and the owner never got back to it. The engine was stripped and sold for scrap. The owner's son wants to surprise his dad with putting the truck back in running order again. His father was supposedly very fond of the truck and would drive it around his town with agricultural plates and in a few parades.

So I have agreed to take the truck and install a used engine I have with super low KM's but rod knock from a bad washed out con-rod bearing. I am wondering if I can just replace the bearings (I didn't see much in the way of debris in the very diluted oil) and if so, where could I find a set of bearings and caps for this engine?

Thoughts on my fix ?
Chris M
1981 Ural 375D -
Next Eastern Bloc truck - Gaz 66?

portamurda1

Re: Ural 375 - ZIL375 Motor

Post by portamurda1 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:43 pm

I know bugger all about the engine but, unless you’ve got a crack in the block and there’s room for a rebore, any engine is recoverable...thing is, you need to assess whether it’s economic in time and money

I’m sure someone will be along to advise specifically on this engine or try them on Facebook as I think they maybe more active on there
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Panda 4x4s ‘fousands of em’
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff