ural 375 diesel road test

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Trapper Ind

ural 375 diesel road test

Post by Trapper Ind » Mon May 14, 2012 9:41 pm

just road tested our ural 375 (diesel perkins td) it went like a train, we reconditioned the brakes but the air over hydraulic brakes are very good but have a bit of a delay when braking :-ss it did 75k on the flat :)
any one else have similar brakes on their ural?
'You will never go to heaven with an AK 47'
http://www.trapperindustries.com
tank driving days:
www.trakdaze.co.uk

paulob1

Re: ural 375 diesel road test

Post by paulob1 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:39 pm

did the brakes come on really hard after the delay, thats what i find on one of my 375's, one is reasonably progressive the other on off nothing inbetween. Cannot find out why but assume the valves air side are slow or stiff to react...

Trapper Ind

Post by Trapper Ind » Wed May 16, 2012 5:57 pm

HI Paul,
Yes they did... put foot on pedal and take up slack (air) then press a little more (hydraulic) and brakes come on hardish...
will have to check it out some day..if we find problem i will let you know..
Nick
tank driving days:
www.trakdaze.co.uk

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:39 pm

I just tend to pump the brake and it works fine, but |i am sure there is a valve stuck or opening badly or dirt in the main brake unit...I have played with it and sprayed into the air system with wd 40 but all to no avail...

I prefer the brakes working like that than when one system failed and i was left with just the back two wheels brakes on the back up system, it did not slow the truck quickly at all, I nearly totalled a little car in front of me...luckily I could move to the outside of the lane becasue nothing was coming the other way or it would have been curtains for her car...

Trapper Ind

Post by Trapper Ind » Sat May 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Paul,
I think i might know what the problem is with the on/off brakes... it is probably the air actuator which powers the brake master cylinder sticking, we had a similar problem on our brdm2.. take it apart and you will probably find its piston is ally and the bore is steel ~X(
Nick
tank driving days:
www.trakdaze.co.uk

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 am

that may be the answer.. I have a spare one and the plan was to rebuild it and see if I could identify the problem....