engine number

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Loshmi

engine number

Post by Loshmi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Ok... i don't know much of the ZiL things, I'm absolute layman, but I need to find out where I can read the chassis & engine number... on ЗиЛ-131 ПР14-АМ, from 1974. ...
I saw a plate beneath co-driver's seat... and there are chassis & engine number, but I was wondering, if there are any numbers on the very chassis or engine, because I was search for them, but I was unsuccessful? I was also looking in some manuals I have, but there is nothing in there about this...
Can somebody give me the answer?
I'm sorry for my bad english, and as I sad... I'm absolute layman...
i hope that nobody will mocking at my "ignorance"... :| :-ss
thanks!
"Ја не одлучујем да ли ћу ићи у битку по томе колика је сила која ме прати, него по томе колику светињу браним!"
Цар Лазар

"I do not decide whether I'll go into battle as how great is force that follows me, but by how great sanctity is, which I defend"
Tzar Lazar

KarlJ
Site Admin

Re: engine number

Post by KarlJ » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sometimes (but not always) you can find the chassis number stamped into the box section chassis rail at the back above the right rear wheel. Not sure about the engine number but if the chassis number matches with your plate then you can be reasonably confident the engine number will be the same.

There is nothing wrong with your English - anyone who mocks you for anything like that on here will receive a short sharp visit from the smack fairy, or a telling off from the admins. We are (mostly) harmless :)
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

Loshmi

Post by Loshmi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks, man! :)
Well, yes...i could be reasonably confident... but I want to be sure does somebody built-in other engine... in technical documentation chassis number is the same as it stays on the plate, but engine number is way different... that's why I need to find number etched on the engine... :-s
also, in technical docs, there is no written record about any engine replacement... it's crazy... 8-}
And again.. thank you for your welcome and the given answer...
"Ја не одлучујем да ли ћу ићи у битку по томе колика је сила која ме прати, него по томе колику светињу браним!"
Цар Лазар

"I do not decide whether I'll go into battle as how great is force that follows me, but by how great sanctity is, which I defend"
Tzar Lazar

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 pm

IIRC the engine number is found on the block up behind the exhaust manifold on the left hand side of the engine if looking from the front, it's hard to spot if the engine still has the pre-heater fitted.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Loshmi

Post by Loshmi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Thank you! :) I'll try to find it... :-B
Цар Лазар

Tzar Lazar

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:18 am

nopt a single one of my trucks has a chassis stamp on it and when they are inspected they will have to have it stamped on, its painted on the passenger side step...and of course on the cab plate if fitted.

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:44 am

one of them does! :)
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:17 pm

the two answers are correct - engine number is on left hand side on the block under the exhaust manifold (if looking from the front) and is very difficult to see - you will need a light/torch. Chassis number is at the back on the outside of the chassis behind the rear wheel on the same side - there will be lots and lots of paint covering it so you will need to look very hard.
Rob

Loshmi

Post by Loshmi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Thank you, guys! (*)
I'm gonna look at that places :-B ... I hope there will be results!
Цар Лазар

Tzar Lazar

texas pete

Post by texas pete » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:36 pm

Struggling to find the chassis number on my Zil, if I understand correctly it should on the outside face of the chassis on the right hand side and directly behind the last wheel?
Also we were trying confirm the engine number, but the number we found on the block is missing a bit in the middle. It's stamped XX[]XXX. THE [] being a blank... Is this correct?? It's stamped on the block just above the fuel burning heater.
BRDM-2rkh
Looking for a Maz 543 with kung body, please pm me if you know of one for sale

HybridMark

Post by HybridMark » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Ours just has chassis number on a plate on the cab floor/seat base at the right side, no other plates, axles weights or anything else, don't know if this will be a problem getting it class 4 tested. :-ss
Zil 131 Radio/Camper. Up and running in full use.

Ford Fiesta
Peugeot Boxer Motorhome
Garage full of crap.

http://www.southcavetractors.com

Mike-13

Post by Mike-13 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:39 am

I have found a lot of usuful things on the Zil-131 forum

http://zil131.net/forum/

Thanx to google translate :D

Zil-131 1975
UAX 469B 1977