Bodies for a Zil

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Bodies for a Zil

Post by Abrs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:26 am

I was looking around recently for a tipper body to use on my Zil temporarily when I discovered that the Zils chassis rails etc are exactly the same width apart as they are on most 7.5 tonners 8) And the length of the SWB tipper bodies are near inch perfect for a Zil, even with the Zil's spare wheel carrier still in place, the only issue is leaving enough room between the wheels and body so that they don't foul when the axles articulate - Requires an 8" spacer under the body to lift it clear.

I got myself a tipper off an Ford Cargo in the end but I think one off any make will fit as it seems to be a standard body/chassis size. There are all sorts of other body types available in this size if anyone's considering a body change :wink:

Regards
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Re: Bodies for a Zil

Post by paulob1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:26 am

I need to see this as yes i want to put a tipper on one of mine...how did you work the hydraulics.....

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:07 pm

I'd already fitted hydraulics previously for running other equipment so it's just a case of connecting the pump to the tipping gear, the raise and lower are controlled by an air valve in the cab i.e. air over hydraulic, the air valve simply operates the hydraulic spool valve on the tipper.

Pic of the hyd pump I'd fitted:
http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/ga ... ctures_017
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 pm

I dont know how you lot get the time to do all this...i need a full time mechanic...

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:47 pm

paulob1 wrote:I dont know how you lot get the time to do all this...i need a full time mechanic...
I think the trick is not to bite off more than you can chew :wink: :lol:

Mark Twain

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Thought you had a tank on the back of the Zil?
Rob

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:41 pm

I did :lol: , but as I said the tipper's only a temporary thing - Actually I think I'm going to make the bodies demountable so I can use either 8) .

I bought the whole Cargo not just the body, it's complete with a very nice 150hp engine and six speed overdrive box with PTO, I'm thinking I might slap this engine and box into the Zil at some point - looks a nice easy conversion.

Regards

Mark Twain

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 pm

Abrs wrote:I did :lol: , but as I said the tipper's only a temporary thing

Regards
Wouldnt it make more sense to put the tipper and engine/box etc on the spare Zil and then you would have 2 trucks? - from memory you mentioned that the middle axle was fixable?
Rob

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Abrs wrote:
paulob1 wrote:I dont know how you lot get the time to do all this...i need a full time mechanic...
I was always greedy...and overly enthusiastic...still am but am slowly coming to realise at that life is actually very short...

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 pm

paulob1 wrote:
Abrs wrote:
I was always greedy...and overly enthusiastic...still am but am slowly coming to realise at that life is actually very short...
Ditto :)
Rob

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Rob Reznik wrote:
Abrs wrote:I did :lol: , but as I said the tipper's only a temporary thing

Regards
Wouldnt it make more sense to put the tipper and engine/box etc on the spare Zil and then you would have 2 trucks? - from memory you mentioned that the middle axle was fixable?
That one's got too many other parts missing to make it worth while doing, I'd rather just use it for spares to keep the other one going - besides, I can only sit in one truck at a time :lol:

Anyhow, the body mounting system I was thinking of using would perhaps allow me to change the bodies in under ten minutes 8)

Regards

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 am

john you have to let me have piccies as i want to put a tipper on one of my trucks...am going to the scrappies this week to see what i can find...and what hydraulic pump did you use....what is its flow rate when using the pto...

I want to do a diesel conversion too but dont have the time at all...i am looking for a full time mechanic so will hopefully get him to do it...with all these machines i need a fuill time man on the job...

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Will post some later.

Mark Twain

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:47 pm

If you put a sauna on it would that make it "hot body"?