electrical help needed....

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

paulob1

electrical help needed....

Post by paulob1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:22 pm

okay, new problem...starter on the bench, runs fine, solenoid engages but simply wont engage once on the truck..wont turn over nothing...any ideas anyone...I can hear the relay clicking but nothing gets to the starter, it has power because I can short the terminals and the motor turns over but cant make the solenoid go at the same time...I am guesing a wire but could it be the relay having problems...dont think I have swapped any of the wires but will have another look...cant imagine what else it can be...what does the big filter on the bulkhead do, is it an electrical supressor to reduce interference...assume this is fine...it could be the starters but they really do seem to work fine...

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Re: electrical help needed....

Post by Abrs » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:51 pm

You can test the solenoid with the motor on the truck by running a live from the main battery cable on the back of the solenoid to the small terminal on the solenoid that supplies juice to operate it (normally fed by the relay on bulkhead) - if motor now works normally then the fault is in the supply to the solenoid, most likely the starter relay - If it is the relay then take it apart and clean contacts inside.

Regards
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:38 am

yes I CAN HEAR THE RELAY CLICKING...will take it off and clean...could be a wire from the relay to the solenoid I guess too...I know the thing works off the truck as I can make the solenoid fire and the motor spin...will have to check the wires..I hate piddling about with wires...

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 am

Starter motors are a problem on Zil's and I think most Russian trucks - just spent a few hours messing with a Praga starter that did exactly the same - worked well (after cleaning) on the bench but not enough power when fitted - just a click from solenoid - checked everything on truck then fitted another starter and no problem so it may just be the starter is not servicable - I have a couple of refurb kits for them if you need one just pm me
Rob

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:42 pm

If memory serves me right Andrew told me that you had some treatment for a starter motor by soaking it in petrol overnight....... or did I misunderstand.
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:28 pm

yep that will give some life back to them but if they are knackered then nothing will help without new parts
Rob

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Rob Reznik wrote:yep that will give some life back to them but if they are knackered then nothing will help without new parts
Forgive my ignorance but how does this help? The only thing I see this doing is washing the grease out of the bearings - Unless degreasing is the object of the exercise? If so you just need to remove the rear cover to gain access to the commutator for cleaning/degreasing - I wouldn't soak the whole motor in order to avoid washing out the bearings as mentioned.

Regards
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:15 pm

not really sure John - I just hand any electrical work to my Polish Auto Electrician friend and he sorts out the problems - not had any problems with any starter motors I have given him so can only assume what he does works - will ask him tomorrow as I have a Praga one for him to sort out.
Rob

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:04 am

yes will need two kits rob...but may try to buy some in poland..trip working out quite nicely at the moment...