clutch gone

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

paulob1

clutch gone

Post by paulob1 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:16 am

well we took one of the zils off roading and after a days fun the clutch finally gave up. She wasnt running that sweet but good enough, i guess all the clutch work was too much, interestingly there is no smell of cooked clutch,,,? so it may be something other than the pletes,,, any thoughts guys?

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Re: clutch gone

Post by haymish » Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 am

if you have been playing with it in the seriously boggy/peaty stuff you could have packed it out with afore mentioned slime-result dead clutch-also oil contaminated plates has same effect.would only smell burnt clutch if you still nasty with loud pedal after it had given up

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:20 pm

it has just been over a few hills and in a few puddles, nothing seriously muddy so cant think it is any of that...and it literally just stopped working, from good to nothing in one go...although one guy did seem to think it was slipping...

if it is the plates...rob i need a new clutch...or perhaps another strip out from the ones in Norfolk...

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Mon May 11, 2009 4:40 pm

I wouldn’t bother with one of the old ones from the scrappy, they're obviously quite old linings now and will probably end up doing the same after a while, either a new one from Rob or a reline is probably going to be the best course of action.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 pm

okay will get her off this weekend and see how i go...

JMD007

Post by JMD007 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:57 pm

My GAZ clutch started slipping and i found the clutch slave cylinder was just holding the pressure plate off slightly where the clutch plate had worn a little.

Adjusted the throw of the slave cylinder and it was fine after that!

May be worth checking that before you take the clutch out!!! :wink:
GAZ 66 Rules! (sorry everyone! Ha! Ha!)

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm

believe me i will be checking everything i can before removing the clutch, i have never taken the clutch out on anything so am not looking forward to it but if it has to be done it has to be done...

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 pm

Should try doing a tractor one - you have to split the machine into two in most cases and wheel it apart :lol: They also very often have two or even three clutches in some, newer ones are hydro-vane so not much to do there now :|

At least the gearbox in the Zil isn't too heavy as trucks go, plenty of muscle should do the trick :wink: or a transmission jack :lol:
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:10 am

yes nothing like a bloody motorbike....they are so much easier