Another one bites the dust (but hopefully not this forum)

Have you just joined or have you been here a while? You can introduce yourself, and your vehicle, here. You can also find a link to the member map along with instructions on how to get yourself listed.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

dustbiter

Another one bites the dust (but hopefully not this forum)

Post by dustbiter » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:18 pm

Hi,

I live in Finland. I own no Russian vehicles, indeed have no driving license even. I want to become a nomad travelling with an Ural 4320 within few years (of intense studying of mechanics). My financial situation as a 20 years old is poor but joining this forum is one step in actualizing my dream.

Also—please message me privately me to discuss about the vehicles & your experiences ;)

zoltan
Site Admin

Re: Another one bites the dust (but hopefully not this forum)

Post by zoltan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

Ural 4320 is an interesting choice for your nomad vehicle, how much space do you need in the back?

There is a post in the camper section comparing the internal space inside some of the popular soviet era Kung back boxes, this could be useful to see if you need a big brute like a 4320 or a smaller more fuel efficient truck might do
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

dustbiter

Post by dustbiter » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:54 pm

I saw a dream where those ancient Ural vehicles were coming to me, requesting to be used.

4320 happens to be less than 2.60 meters making it road legal in that sense in most of Europe.

My dream apparently didn't take into account the fuel cost numbers xD.

I am not stuck on a vehicle yet. Still looking.

I don't need more heated space than for one person to sleep in. In fact, I now think space is amongst least important factors, below fuel efficiency, off-roadability, maintainability etc.

Few concrete factors:
- Door between drivers cabin & back would add safety.
- Being able to paint it matters because too militaristic appearance might create a bad impression
- Costs after purchasing the vehicle should be as low as possible, EG cheap parts, cheap fuel, easy repair, no unnecessary electronics.

zoltan
Site Admin

Post by zoltan » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:58 pm

:D I had the same type of dream with a Gaz-66 on LPG!

Plenty of room inside and big enough/small enough and very capable off road
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

Gaz-lad2

Post by Gaz-lad2 » Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. How much space you really need in the back is a consideration. The Ural is a big beast and thirsty, even the 4320, you will need deep pockets ! I have owned a Gaz 66, and now own a Zil 131, but have not used them as a camper so dont know how the Kung is best used for accommodation. There are others on here who know better than me.

There is lots of information on here , its a matter of searching through it.

Kieran