Gaz-66 camper

Have you just joined or have you been here a while? You can introduce yourself, and your vehicle, here. You can also find a link to the member map along with instructions on how to get yourself listed.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Arthos

Gaz-66 camper

Post by Arthos » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:09 am

Hi everybody,

I'm joining the forum to get some information on the Gaz-66, I'm planning to buy one and convert it to a camper for my partner and I to live full-time in around a year.
First thing I'll like to find is the exact dimensions of the truck (especially the box) to recreate the truck in 3D and start preparing a layout. Google is returning mixed information on that.

See you around :D

aardvark64

Re: Gaz-66 camper

Post by aardvark64 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Welcome.

This one would be a good start:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Russian-Gaz-6 ... 2820772339

/Colin
Trabant - Kleinwagen mit Grosser Zukunft

.... photobucket ate my signature, Flickr put it back ...

YA3, 3иL - If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand...

Arthos

Post by Arthos » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:22 pm

aardvark64 wrote:Welcome.

This one would be a good start:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Russian-Gaz-6 ... 2820772339

/Colin

Yes it would be perfect, I'm not planning to buy just now though.

Grommet1

Post by Grommet1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi Arthos. Welcome
I think the box inside dimensions are 12ft by 7 ft 6 near enough, from memory when I carpeted it. Remember the wheel arches encroach into the box each side.
It's a good sized space.
Looking forward to hearing of your progress. The only real limit is your imagination.
Happy to help with tips from my own experience.
Regards
John
Gaz 66 1968
Daimler V8 250 1969
Beetle 1302 1972
Jaguar xk8 1998
Honda CRV 2001
Jaguar X type 2006
Gpz 305 1988
and a lawnmower...

Arthos

Post by Arthos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 am

Grommet1 wrote:Hi Arthos. Welcome
I think the box inside dimensions are 12ft by 7 ft 6 near enough, from memory when I carpeted it. Remember the wheel arches encroach into the box each side.
It's a good sized space.
Looking forward to hearing of your progress. The only real limit is your imagination.
Happy to help with tips from my own experience.
Regards
John
Thanks! Is that 6 ft vertically? Do you think I'd fit standing up straight at 184cm?
Yes I have lots of thing planned for the Gaz. I'd like to switch to LPG, get a decent electric setup with solar panels and alternator-connected extra batteries, isolate the cab, incorporate a wood stove for the winter, etc. Not sure if I'll be able to achieve all of this in the initial phase of conversion but with time (and money let's be honest) it should happen. LPG and solar are my priority to reduce fuel cost and allow for some off grid camping.

funkypete
Site Admin

Post by funkypete » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:37 am

No, not 6ft internal box height, im 6'1 and have to bend neck over lots to avoid lights inside the back of Chris's Gaz, your avatar pic btw.

There is quite a lot of scope for camper conversions, lots of storage lockers for batterys and dual fuel tanks so one can come off. Read up on Zoltans adventures, his went lpg before diesel.

I was poking about Ditch's Gaz last week whilst i was up there, a good solid example with a high box multi window box, proven truck.
UAZ 452
Russian Sankey trailer
Mz Etz 125

Arthos

Post by Arthos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 am

funkypete wrote:No, not 6ft internal box height, im 6'1 and have to bend neck over lots to avoid lights inside the back of Chris's Gaz, your avatar pic btw.

There is quite a lot of scope for camper conversions, lots of storage lockers for batterys and dual fuel tanks so one can come off. Read up on Zoltans adventures, his went lpg before diesel.

I was poking about Ditch's Gaz last week whilst i was up there, a good solid example with a high box multi window box, proven truck.
So less than 6ft overall? Or more but you need to bend for the lights?

Ha, I knew there was a high chance for the owner to be on the forum, just took one of the first google image tbh!

Yep I've been reading Zoltan a lot, his posts are a goldmine for sure.

Zbig Kolacz

Post by Zbig Kolacz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:01 pm

I have the same box on my Zil parked in Pepperstock. You are welcome to see/measure yourself.
Cyclists!
To avoid undertakers, do not undertake !!!

Arthos

Post by Arthos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:27 pm

We might actually get the Gaz from ditch! It's just too good of an opportunity to pass on it even though I have to quickly get my truck licence in France in the upcoming month or so to be able to drive it legally. I'm also not sure where to park it until we start working on it next Spring, which is something that I have to figure out before buying. Ideally somewhere kind of secure (i.e. not in our London street).

Calfdozer99

Post by Calfdozer99 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:52 pm

The cab is already isolated.

Have you had much experience with large trucks or vehicles?

Have you seen a Gaz 66 in the flesh?
"As long as the paperwork's clean, you boys can do what you like out there....!"

GAZ 66
DAF YA4440
BMC FG550
Defender 110 TD5

Arthos

Post by Arthos » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:55 am

Calfdozer99 wrote:The cab is already isolated.

Have you had much experience with large trucks or vehicles?

Have you seen a Gaz 66 in the flesh?
You mean in this particular Gaz?

Not that size no, biggest I drove was a 3 seats Iveco Flat bed, no were near as long or heavy than the Gaz. I still need to get my truck licence first.

Haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

Calfdozer99

Post by Calfdozer99 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:08 pm

The cab on a Gaz 66 is isolated, as in one not being able to pass from cabin to box without walking around the outside.
You may have seen different, like the cab advertised on Ebay, but that is a previously customised jobbie..

I'm stood in mine now and it measures hightwise 180cm floor to middle line of ceiling, slowly tapering off to 173cm before the eave of the side wall.

The ceiling lights hang down to 170cm.

226cm wide.

368cm long.

I strongly advise on taking a look at one in the flesh before commiting to buy one as they are bigger than they first look and can easily phase newcomers, thus ending up with decent trucks being left to wilt away in the likes of a housing estate for years ..

I have a Vid on Youtube which you will see some internal cab shots.

Scott (Von Flames)
"As long as the paperwork's clean, you boys can do what you like out there....!"

GAZ 66
DAF YA4440
BMC FG550
Defender 110 TD5

Arthos

Post by Arthos » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Calfdozer99 wrote:The cab on a Gaz 66 is isolated, as in one not being able to pass from cabin to box without walking around the outside.
You may have seen different, like the cab advertised on Ebay, but that is a previously customised jobbie..

I'm stood in mine now and it measures hightwise 180cm floor to middle line of ceiling, slowly tapering off to 173cm before the eave of the side wall.

The ceiling lights hang down to 170cm.

226cm wide.

368cm long.

I strongly advise on taking a look at one in the flesh before commiting to buy one as they are bigger than they first look and can easily phase newcomers, thus ending up with decent trucks being left to wilt away in the likes of a housing estate for years ..

I have a Vid on Youtube which you will see some internal cab shots.

Scott (Von Flames)
I meant isolated from the noise (and heat) coming from the engine, I've seen people talking about that somewhere here. I do plan on connecting the cab to the box though (I think Zoltan did it, have to check that).
Of course we'll see one before buying, but honestly I doubt that I will find any major surprise since I've done a pretty good amount of research on this truck.
Thank you for the dimensions!! That's very valuable information :D
We are "lucky" enough to live in a room that is roughly the size of the box, which is great to get an idea of the space, minus the tapering of the walls.
Ha, funnily enough I've already seen your video :), thanks for sharing.
Last edited by Arthos on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.