The UAZ is home!!

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

RangerNeil

The UAZ is home!!

Post by RangerNeil » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 pm

At last the UAZ 469 is home on the drive!! Rob delivered her for me the Saturday of the W&P show after carrying out some final works down there. A big thanks to Rob and Ditch for getting her to the current state!!

Not so good news is the brakes are нефункциональные!! Rob thinks the master cylinder is scored so the plan is to replace this and all the wheel cylinders too. That will be the next job to take care of once the Landrover's engine is back together (anyone ever come across an engine that makes exhaust blowing sounds but the gas can be felt escaping from the manifold gasket around an inlet port??).
Next up is replacing the tyres as the carcasses are cracking. In between times the dashboard and windscreen frame needs sanding and repainting as do the seat frames and the door tops. Actually - the door tops are probably the most important part as I have already had a gang of East Europeans try to "remove my scrap" - two dogs going ape-sh*t cured that one though.
Then to work out what the switch holes in the dash are for and sort out accordingly - its going to be FUN!!!!! :D :D :D

(thus far the score is UAZ 2, Me 0 - tried to start her not knowing an isolator was fitted and then could not work out how to release the drivers side hood latch - both since explained by Rob!! :D )
Neil.

1969 FV622 Stalwart 19 ET 90 STALII/629 - now sold after loss of storage :(
1973 Series 3 109" FFR 55 FM 58 -
1978 Czech OT-90 - now has the PKT mounted, just need the KVPT....
UAZ 469

zoltan
Site Admin

Re: The UAZ is home!!

Post by zoltan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 pm

You are a very lucky man Neil, that Uaz has a lot of forum history! :) Think of it as being like a Le Mans winning race car =))

It is the unkillable Uaz
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 am

zoltan wrote:You are a very lucky man Neil, that Uaz has a lot of forum history! :) Think of it as being like a Le Mans winning race car =))

It is the unkillable Uaz
Cheers mate :) Much work to do though for the immediate future as I want to get it up and running in everyday use.
Neil.

UAZ 469

funkypete
Site Admin

Post by funkypete » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 pm

Welcome to the uaz owners group!! Thats a cracking uaz and has a great history, that maybe why it kept biting us all whilst working on it!!! Mind the screws behind the battery there swearing sharp!!

Its a good base to start on. Needs some love but nothing to bad. Great fun in the mud :) even with those ot drivers ripping the arena up! ;)
UAZ 452
Russian Sankey trailer
Mz Etz 125

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:11 pm

funkypete wrote:Welcome to the uaz owners group!! Thats a cracking uaz and has a great history, that maybe why it kept biting us all whilst working on it!!! Mind the screws behind the battery there swearing sharp!!

Its a good base to start on. Needs some love but nothing to bad. Great fun in the mud :) even with those ot drivers ripping the arena up! ;)
Yes - I saw the in-mud performance - mightily impressed - and coming from a die-hard Landie man that is saying a LOT!! :)

Once the Landies is back together the UAZ will gain my full attention. Right now I just need to keep people out. :)
Once question - what were the holes in fronr of the windscreen on the drivers side for? Spotlights or??????
Neil.

UAZ 469

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Glad it's home at last - have fun!

There are three screws each side at the foot of the pillar which attach the folding hinge to the wind-screen. Failing that, some vehicles have a search-light attached to the bodywork in that area?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what holes you mean? Any chance of a picture?

Best wishes, Colin
Trabant - Kleinwagen mit Grosser Zukunft

.... photobucket ate my signature, Flickr put it back ...

YA3, 3иL - If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand...

funkypete
Site Admin

Post by funkypete » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Even the twickingham off roaders complemented its ability on dragging things out! They didnt know what it was tho
UAZ 452
Russian Sankey trailer
Mz Etz 125

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 pm

OK - photos time. Having nearly broken my back lifting a cylinder head out of a Landrover I took these photos of the UAZ.

These are the holes I mentioned in the front scuttle:

I need to work out what goes in the missing holes here and get those replaced:

Are these holes for reflectors or what??

The jerry can holder - I assume should have a securing/padlockable clip/clasp on it??

There is an odd hole in the drivers door - something supposed to be there or a previous owners modification?

This I assume is the number plate light? If so - thinking of a relocation job up onto the jerry can holder with a detachable plug to allow the rear gate to open.
Neil.

UAZ 469

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 pm

they all look like modern holes, for a start theyre all round and ruskies seem to have oval drills, and theres no surface rust...
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Panda 4x4s ‘fousands of em’
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 pm

portamurda1 wrote:they all look like modern holes, for a start theyre all round and ruskies seem to have oval drills, and theres no surface rust...
No surface rust is down to Robs hard work :-)
Neil.

UAZ 469

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 am

Thanks for the pictures Neil. The holes in the wing aren't original. Can't help there, sorry.

On the dashboard, it looks like you have choke, lights and ignition. So you are missing two switches: one should be a 3-way toggle switch to select which fuel tank's level is displayed by the fuel gauge, the other might be a pull-switch to act as a bias to the throttle setting (a simple-minded cruise control) if you will).

Other things you will need: controls for the windscreen wipers and washer bottle, switch for the hazard lights, switch for the search-light on/off (if fitted), same for fog lights etc etc. I can post pictures of my dashboard if that would help (I'm sure others can do likewise, too).

Hope this helps.

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:15 pm

RangerNeil wrote:OK - photos time. Having nearly broken my back lifting a cylinder head out of a Landrover I took these photos of the UAZ.

These are the holes I mentioned in the front scuttle:

Not sure on these - i thought it may have been for an ariel or maybe even a camera mount?

I need to work out what goes in the missing holes here and get those replaced:
Fuel tank switch is already there to the right - could be for the side spot light, Hazard lights or fog lights - different Countries had different specs for the electrics

Are these holes for reflectors or what?? Yes - you have the two brackets in the box I left but need to get a couple of reflectors

The jerry can holder - I assume should have a securing/padlockable clip/clasp on it??

There is an odd hole in the drivers door - something supposed to be there or a previous owners modification? its a door lock - you can see it if you look inside the door but there weren't any keys !!

This I assume is the number plate light? If so - thinking of a relocation job up onto the jerry can holder with a detachable plug to allow the rear gate to open.

Yes it is - there are two rusty mudflap brackets in the box and the left one can have the reg plate fitted - there are also other places to fit them just have a look at Google images. Who left the Uaz so dirty? - they must have had some fun :blushing:
Image[/quote]
Rob

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks Rob & Aardvark - it comes together slowly :) Next question after the info on the tank gauge selector - where is the actual fuel change over tap?? This will take a bit of getting used to after the "luxury" of a Landie where changing the fuel supply also changes the sender over!! :)
Neil.

UAZ 469

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 am

Its under the drivers seat but the lever broke when I tried to free it off - its on the shopping list I have for you :-) - currently set to the LH side
Rob

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:32 am

Rob Reznik wrote:Its under the drivers seat but the lever broke when I tried to free it off - its on the shopping list I have for you :-) - currently set to the LH side
At least that is in common with a Landie then - sort off. Awfully embarrassing to go fumbling for the fuel changeover as the engine starts coughing only to not find it. Even more so when you realise after conking out the vehicle only had a single tank!! Bl**dy white fleet!!!! [-(
Neil.

UAZ 469

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:23 am

The hole in the driver's door looks like a proper hole to me. Maybe even a bullet hole? Patch it and paint over it.

Looks like a great project. Have fun!

Best wishes, Colin

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Good luck with it. I only ever drove it up and down my driveway (oh, and used it to move my shed - just put a big ratchet strap around the shed and dragged it).

I wish I could get a hold of an Uaz and get it up to the Faroe Islands. There is a distinct lack of interesting vehicles here. We have a 25 year rolling tax exemption so anything pre-1989 would only have VAT (25%) added to the purchase price and there would be no annual road tax.

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Had a play today - found the inhibitor switch and got her running, moved to end of drive, panicked momentarily when brake pedal didn't work then remembered brakes are FUBAR and yanked handbrake. :) She did run very well though - I am more than pleased!!

Mud now washed off inside and outside and as much underneath as I could get at without a set of ramps.

Looking at the dash and comparing it to my German handbook for the UAZ 268 it would seem the dash is missing the:
* Headlight switch
* Heater fan switch

That said - I have two white buttons top left of the instrument cluster as opposed to the one shown in the book and labelled "Stopfen:" (Literally "Stuff" according to Google Translate - not the most useful of descriptions for a control item)
I also have a switch to the left of the steering wheel which I need to work out what its for - it has a nice Czech label above it though.

Instrument cluster - all seem to work bar the oil pressure gauge - I guess a new sender unit is required?? Fuel tank reads full when the three way switch for the senders is in the middle position then to the right shows full tank and to the left shows 1/3 tank. Either Rob has been very generous or there is an issue with the right hand tanks sender.

Icing on the cake is the OH keeps saying she likes the look of the UAZ compared to the Landie. Not that she has been in it yet. :) :)
Neil.

UAZ 469

acmatman

Post by acmatman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:10 pm

my 469 is in excellent condition ,and the fuel gauge (for left/right tank ) still does not work with any accuracy below a quarter,when I took it to W/P a few years both tanks filled to the brim ,and when it started coughing on the motorway ,hand on the tank change over lever ,refill the empty tank at next garage .
A russian solution to a russian problem :sick:

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Progress!

BTW, the fuel gauge senders read full when open circuit. The middle position isn't used for the two fuel tanks - I believe the idea was it was available for another purpose, e.g. for a generator. Mine read 'full' for the left tank 'cos the sender and tank were rotten. When I replaced the fuel tank, I put in a new sender at the same time and thereafter the fuel gauge worked as advertised.

Best wishes, Colin