No roads, no land!!!!!

Stuff you have found online that other members might enjoy. Can be off or on topic. Please keep relevant videos in their relevant forums.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

redneck

No roads, no land!!!!!

Post by redneck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 am

Something for the cold weather maybe.
Not even a Gaz66 could do this http://www.wimp.com/homebuilt/ :-ss

zoltan
Site Admin

Re: No roads, no land!!!!!

Post by zoltan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:01 am

That is what happens when you have lots of long dark winters, projects happen. Reminds me of the Gamma Goat Haymish mentioned
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 pm

dont mention gamma goats-rekindles desires to own one %-(

haymish

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 am

:-o
Trabant - Kleinwagen mit Grosser Zukunft

.... photobucket ate my signature, Flickr put it back ...

YA3, 3иL - If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand...

haymish

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 am

haymish

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 pm

some entertaining toys but dont hit my buttons like a gama goat.2 or 6 wheel drive,4 wheel steering,difflocks all round,inboard sealed brakes,swims,bends but above all that detroit 2 stroke diesel.i'm reknowned for not exactly liking diesels but that engine is outrageous.little 2.5lish 3 pot has no right to put out over 100bhp-especially as 'old tech' and no electronic gizzmo's.if you never heard one in the flesh then you can have no idea of the outrageous noise they make.tickover just like most diesels[horrible] but punch the throttle and they just sing,with screaming supercharger, and sound just like a jet engine-quite an unbelievable noise[especially from a diesel] that just makes you want to press the loud pedal and hold it there against the govenor :D .proper tingles down the backbone time.-only heard its bigger 4 pot brother but just the same noise.if i found a detroit diesel engine it one of the few-if only diesel engines i would have in a vehicle and if i didn't have a suitable vehicle i'd build one round the engine!

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:58 pm

i never got the goat...have a relative that said when they were out with the USAF, in the desert, they were always breaking down...engine, transmission, axles...turning circle was terrible off road if there was even a slight undulation...the brits prefered to use the ex WWII stuff that was laying around

the engine sounds weird, not in a bad way, just weird....but then i believe big diesel lump better for carting big stuff around...espescially if I'm paying the fuel bill!!!....each to their own...their was a scrapped goat in an 'ex' scrappyard in wortley leeds...dont know if thats still there but there are some old military vehicles under camm tarps still there!!!
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Panda 4x4s ‘fousands of em’
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

haymish

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:02 pm

:)) fuel bill for a detroit 2 stroke screamer probably worse than my gaz.my father used them and loved them.engines pretty bombproof and most of gearbox straight off bedford 4x4 truck!brakes biggest hassle as enclosed and not fun to work on.definitely not something to take for a nice relaxing afternoon drive but i'd happily donate my back teeth to own one.very rare in uk more to be found in germany cos us used them on all their bases.one day i'll find one needing a good home-would even put up with the wrath of HERSELF for a gama :-T :D

redneck

Post by redneck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:05 am

Detroit diesels, lovely things in a strange kind of way.
First heard one, two actually, coming up the river in a life boat, the RNLI had spare couple of engines, we took out the old ones and dropped in the rebuilt pair on each refit ( the only RNLI boat I know of to do this).
The sound of two V6 twin turbo'd and supercharged diesels screaming flat out is a sound to behold, almost as nice a Nitro burning V8.

Just found this,turn it up loud
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_szxYMTNIc[/youtube]

jamie_grieve

Post by jamie_grieve » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 am

The Detroits sound great for sure but when I first started out in the opencasts I was on the little bendy dumpers, Volvo A40's for the most part shifting coal, there were a couple of Euclid R50's there that still did the odd days work. They had a Detroit 16V 71 in them and sounded great as I said but the little 6 cylinder Volvos would run rings round them up hill, down hill and often gross more. I remember the first time I actually volunteered to go on one when a Volvo went down. Later I probably looked more like a beaten dog when I had to go on them. The Allison transmissions were awful things too. I nearly managed to steer clear of Detroits until I went on a TS 24 scraper in New Zealand where I learned to hate them and allison transmissions again. They are a blast from the past though and are kinda cool I suppose. No fun starting them in the proper cold either.
That said, I've got the blower from a 6V 71 in the loft looking for an engine to sit on. ;)

haymish

Post by haymish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 am

short clip of detroit singing :D www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1xfXkh6PV4