Re: Robur collection

Post by Rob Reznik » Sun May 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Michael does the Robur have difflock?
Rob

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Sun May 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Nope.

Just back from working on it. I need to make new exhaust manifold gaskets - two of them were blowing. Manifold has a cracked weld but one of the guys at the barn has a friend who restores tanks and he should be able to make a good repair. The starter solenoid has a cracked housing so that needs to be replaced. Should be able to get one from Germany.

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Sun May 02, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm going to the gasket shop this week do you want me to get some paper? - if so approx size and thickness
Rob

gaz66chris

Post by gaz66chris » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:01 am

today is robur collection day! :-ss :D the new owner will shortly be driving me to eastblocks to collect it. i will then have a 100 mile drive home. im afraid i wont be able to post any pics as A: ill be driving and B: my camera seems to have past away! i will let you know if and when i make it home!! i will also try to convince the new owner to join the forum but i i know hes not too keen on computers, forums and the like!

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:45 am

Safe journey mate. :D
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 pm

I look forward to a full report. 100 miles is nothing compared to my trip through Germany, Holland and the UK in the old girl. Just the CMP left to be collected now.

gaz66chris

Post by gaz66chris » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:21 pm

hello again folks! well!!.... we drove drove from felixtowe to near luton where eastblock had the robur stored. we then did the usual stuff, (had a tour of the various switches and knobs) then saddled up for the drive home! i was behind the wheel with my friend antony (unimog owner) riding in the passenger seat for general navigation, satnav landspeed reports, moral support and road trip!! micheal had warned us all along that "it runs like a bag of nails" but also told us that it had done this since he bought it in germany, but it had got him home none the less. so, off we set! with its nervous owner following behind in his car! we drove it slowly off the farm that it was living on...first gear...then second....then found out it was missfiring so bad i couldnt get it to pull third!! doh!! now slightly worried we agreed that we would plod on in second for a while till we could find a place to stop and have a rethink. as we plodded on, at about 10mph the land started to go downhill slighty, and, as you would expect, she started to pick up..third, then forth...then...hang on a minuite she's started to get some speed up now!! we kept on at something like 45mph for quite a few miles when, me being the child i am couldnt resist flooring it on a long downhill section....now this i promise is not an exaggeration...66mph on the satnav!!! the speedo was pointing straight down at the mileometer!! it was truely flying!!!! we could help but have a little cheer!! after that it was the barnstormer physco truck from hell!! we found out that it still ran awfull if you dropped below 50mph, but anything above was great! and i will never in all of my life know how that tiny little engine pulls so hard up the long motorway inclines. they had practically no effect whatsoever (after the good thrashing!) i really hate to say this, but im big enough to admit that once the low down issues are sorted, perfomance wise it will put any gaz 66 to shame :-s . i had taken some earplugs with me but my friend had forgotten. i managed to keep mine out for about 40 miles when i had to tell him that i was sorry but the pain was getting unbearable!! i put my earplugs in, then for a short way he wrapped his coat round his head! :)) i screamed across to him to say "have a look in the glovebox" there may be some tissue you can use. he checked but only found a bit of that foam thats used in those spare bulb sets. he ripped it in half and stuffed it in his ears much to my amusment! we had to keep the windows rolled down as we started to fade away due to carbon monoxide poisoning aswell :D plus it was p*ssing down with rain a good part of the way...with loose flailing things with no rubber that kind of resemble wipers to clear (or not) the screen!! but, anyway, joking aside, what a truck!! all for pennies!! if i had the money i would have bought it in a heartbeat!! with a bit of love and fetling shes gonna be a great truck! (that goes like the clappers!)

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Sorry, my mistake for not telling you it runs best flat out. I kept it above 50mph pretty much all the way back from Germany, sometimes going 60 for longer periods. Once properly sorted I belive it will be a great little truck. Remember it is very light for its size. BTW, if you think that was noisy you should have tried the Praga which didn't have any padding on the engine cover. I had to wear earplugs under the headphones (headphones so I could hear the sat nav). Don't know how the seating position suited you but I found the Robur quite comfortable and I didn't end up with a sore back as I do in many vehicles.

I think a Weber ICH carb may fit and conversion to electronic ignition will make it run better and give you better fuel economy. I actually bought a Megajolt with the intention of fitting that to the Robur.

gaz66chris

Post by gaz66chris » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:05 pm

i hope he's gonna be really happy with it, i would be! ithought it was a great little truck. im just really jealous its not mine! whilst a gaz may get a good turn of speed if you disconnect the limiter, i cant image one will ever climb hills like a robur (mind you, ive never driven a cargo version) your right too it is comfy! lots of room! if i had to make brutal comparisons between the robur and the gaz i would say that the gaz has better steering as its power assisted and better looks (depending on which way you swing!) but other than that, considering the price difference you would be a fool not to go for a robur if your looking for a cheap truck!

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I think the Robur would be fairly simple to re-engine if anyone was inclined to do so as it has a separate transfer box. Some of the Germans have put Merc diesels in them from the 2.4 up to the 3.0. There is also a Deutz diesel that is a good fit. Robur Diesel engines are getting a bit thin on the ground.

PS: You already know how I feel about the way the Robur looks :D

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Sounds like a great truck and a bargain at that price.
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am

the robur sounds like either the advance retard bob weights stuck on full advance or the carb only running on main jets and secondary jets pretty blocked[presuming it has them cos absolutely no idea what a robur carb looks like]

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:40 am

The ignition system is quite crude which is why so many people convert them to electronic ignition. The carb is also a simple affair. There is a performance gain to be had with simple improvements.