Gaz 66 and 2 off Zil 157 for sale in Morecambe

Moderators: funkypete, KarlJ, zoltan

Ditch

Gaz 66 and 2 off Zil 157 for sale in Morecambe

Post by Ditch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 am

In behalf of someone who contacted me.

Went over today and saw the trucks. They have been stood for a while but all look good. Surface rust only and all complete. Zil decontam. has been briefly started by pouring fuel down the carb others are untested.
All seem fine though. Zil box is paticularly straight and both Zils look like they have been painted underneath at some time.

Gaz 66 radio body:
http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh14 ... or%20sale/

Zil 157 Decontam.

Zil 157 Radio box

Seller wants £2500 each and will do delivery in the North of England for a charge. Contact him (Dave Marsdon) on 07885 715 833.
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

KarlJ
Site Admin

Re: Gaz 66 and 2 off Zil 157 for sale in Morecambe

Post by KarlJ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi Ditch - Great to hear from you! How's things?

Have these trucks been hidden away for some reason or used for film work?

K.
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

redneck

Post by redneck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Ditch
Any Idea on the age of the GAZ, I assume it isn't registered in the U.K. yet?
Also what do reckon on the condition of it, is it the usual rubber and fuel issues, or might there be more work involved to get it running.
One last ? the box looks O.K. but there are no pics of the inside, is it fitted out with anything or empty.

Sorry for the questions as I know your not the seller, but you probably have a better idea of the potential issues than the seller.

Thanks
Rolfe

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi Karl. Trucks were from Spadeadam.

Rolfe, expect the usual issues, fuel, pumps, brake/clutch seals, tyres etc. but the Gaz seems to be a basically sound vehicle as far as I can tell. I haven't heard it run or seen it move. Clutch and brake pedals go to the floor. At £2.5 it seems good starting point for a bit of restoration. There are two pages of photos and about ten of the inside complete with drawers full of manuals and boxes full of other stuff.

None of the trucks are registered in the UK
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Ah - there's a lot of ex-Soviet kit at Spadeadam. A friend of mine was up there on 'official business' and said there was a lot of their radar gear - missiles etc, it being an electronic warfare range.
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I like that decontamination unit, I just wish I had the 7.5t entitlement on my lisence!
x1 92' Suzuki SJ Image

And an interest in all things Russian!

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Zil 157 were manufactured from 1960 so if the decontam is old enough (pre-1960) you could drive it on a cat B license. You just need a dating certificate for registering it in the UK. If it is pre-1960 there is not MOT and free tax disc.

I would soooo love a Zil157 but I'm fresh out of cash, matrimonial goodwill and storage space. Of the three, the storage bit is probably the one most difficult to get around.

zilorkney

Post by zilorkney » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Nice trucks!
Could that be genuine 652kms?!
What is the newest date a truck can be MOT exempt?
Dan

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:04 pm

zilorkney wrote: What is the newest date a truck can be MOT exempt?
Dan
1960, unless you register it as a motor tractor.

zilorkney

Post by zilorkney » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:32 am

Hi Eastblock... Thanks for the reply.
Looking at google search there is a lot of mention of 1960. Also a lot about exemption as long as the vehicle is unladen?
My 1970 Zil 131 was sold as MOT exempt and I have documents supporting this with current road tax?
Certainly, when I get it home I'm okay, because the island where I live is MOT exempt what ever the age of vehicle (except the school bus).
Regs are a mine field.
Dan

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 am

The pre-1960 exemption is only for unladen vehicles. If you use the vehicle laden then it must be MOT'ed. However what constitutes unladen is a different matter. Despite many attempts to get a clear answer I have been unable to do so.

A post 1970 vehicle may still be MOT exempt - it depends on its classification. You fill in the form V112G to claim exemption. Anyway this has been discussed in detail on the HMVF forum so look there if you need more information.

My first ever ride in a Russian truck was in a 157. They are good trucks but have a very high thirst for petrol. Top speed on the road is about 60-65 km/h. They go for very little money in Poland at the moment and I suspect they are struggling to sell them because of the high fuel consumption and low top speed. It is quite common to see 157's with nothing more than transport mileage on them. The downside is that they will need all perishable parts replaced to get them back into working order plus of course change of all fluids. Depending on how they have been stored they may also have damage to bearings etc. if moisture somehow got into engine and gearbox casings. Tyres are probably rotten and will need to be replaced. Since the 157's aren't that rare the price shouldn't really be much above scrap value IMHO. It will take a fair bit of time and money to get them back into a useable condition.

zilorkney

Post by zilorkney » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks Eastblock.
Had a look at HMVF... Not simple!
You are right. 157s do look good. If I saw one with transport mileage for not much, I would be very tempted! Would have to sleep in it though, as I would be thrown out the house!
Cheers
Dan

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 pm

not sure i agree totally with your pricing policy eastblock-its all very well pricing them at a smidgim above scrap value if you live in poland!price of moving x tons of scrap to the uk has to be taken into account too,and rarity in the uk.to me definitely worth more than a 131 and more appealing too.

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Yes, I should have made it clear that an obvious advantage of these is that they are in the UK and that has to be worth something. They should be worth a couple of grand of anyones money. I would also much prefer a 157 over a 131 :D (but it ain't gonna happen)

The Zil 157 I first rode in had been completely restored by its owner including full repaint of both chassis and body. He did not want to tell me how much he had spent in total but he said it was several times what he had paid for the truck.

Matti at Leningrad Autos in Espoo has a 157 for sale. It has only done 849km and is very clean - look like it has been stored indoors most of its life. http://www.leningradautomobile.com/cat_ ... &p=4&cid=6

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 am

I have always liked the looks of the 157. To me it has that stylish 1950s design that had yet to be corrupted. A bit like he Gaz 69 for that matter :)) but I might be a trifle biased there. I personally see it as a good looking Jimmy (GMC). Yet another way in which the Russians improved on American designs (the Gaz 46 v. Ford GPA is another :-B in my personal opinion).
However I have no clear recollection of ever seeing a 157 at ANY show in England, not even Beltring. I think that they very rare in England but also very difficult to live with (speed and consumption), which is a shame. On another note, does anybody know their original country/army? Those yellow numberplates are to me unfamiliar. Czechoslovak again? I cannot see any other sign that might help identify them.
I do hope that a kind soul will be found to take care of them...
Last edited by iannima on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 am

i too have never seen/heard of one in uk.like the one on leningrad auto cos of its workshop in the back.bringing it back to prices-i rate leningrad auto's and he isn't greedy but there is no chance of getting that out of him for less than 3000euro's then it will cost you best part of 2000euro's to get it to the uk-so well over 4000quid[provided leningrad auto's being really nice] for a machine that will be a bit better cosmetically than the two at morecambe-but still will have all the same problems being fiftyish years old.definitely cheap at 2.5k for the ones at morecambe.
IF it drives its well over 1k on fuel to get it home not counting ferry!

Eastblock

Post by Eastblock » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 am

There are some in the country. I have seen at least a couple for sale. Malcolm B. sold one last year that had been fitted with a diesel (Perkins I think).

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:07 pm

costs 1600 euros to bring two trucks back to the UK, ie 800 per truck, if you drive it home it doesnt save much unless its diesel. Cost me 600 quid to return a zil from germany less half a tank full...600 miles....2500 is top whack for sure, at 7 tons they will only fetch 1500...but they are his trucks and he can do as he pleases with them...if someone buys them all well and good, if not then scrap heap I reckon...

mattygreen

Post by mattygreen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 pm

I got to drive a lot of the kit at sppadeadam when it came over a mate of mine was a sargeant in the workshop of the mt section and in charge on a rota basis, it was good fun but then he moved south and the fun stopped. He told me a few tales of fires whilst trying to get them started and out onto the range. There was an awful lot of kit and it was all in good nick then mid eighties i would think.
Lover of green things and 2 wheeled things

zilorkney

Post by zilorkney » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:36 pm

I still can't get over the tiny distances some of these have covered.
Like the one Eastblock pointed out with 849kms. Its still got paper tags on the generator...
Another I saw for sale on the net has got paint that would make many cars look shabby! Seems such a shame that so many end up as scrap having been used so little.
It would be interesting to know how many are in the UK. Can't say I've seen any!
Dan