BRDM-2 CTIS system parts

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

[RA]FW200

BRDM-2 CTIS system parts

Post by [RA]FW200 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:39 pm

I found out that my CTIS system doesn't work, because it's simply not hooked up.

It should be like this:

With a 90 degree piece going from the brake drum to the tire.

However on mine there was this:
On mine, they installed some sort of adapter to use normal tire inflation equipment.

Which looks like this up close..

Now I need to find the 90 degree pieces, I've taken the pieces to hydraulic places around here but apparently the thread is quite weird (M12x1 ?), so they can't make adapters.

Does anyone know where to get something like this so I can get the CTIS running on my BRDM again? Do other Russian vehicles use the same size?
Searching for:
BRDM-2 Exhaust muffler (x2)

gaz 66

Re: BRDM-2 CTIS system parts

Post by gaz 66 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi,

I can save you a lot of time as I went through the same research over the last two years.

Have a look at my blog and search for Radhähne, Reifendruckregelanlage or CTIS.

Most of the text after the short English version is German, if you need assistance please let me know, I can help, especially with the small, little fitting.

Those tricky nuts are M12x1,25, you will find adequate pieces in the hydraulic systems of older Citroen cars as DS or Xantia.

With these details you should be able to make the next steps, primary taking into pieces, cleaning, replacing standard fittings. The copper tubes have ends that are prepared like the braking systems lines with probably an E-type crimping.

Btw: My own built adapter looks like this and can flexibly be turned:

Best regards

Marcus
After coffee is before coffee...
GAZ 66 blog from Marcus and Iris

gaz 66

Post by gaz 66 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:54 pm

We have identified at least two different types of the valves at the wheel, depending on the source of the wheels. Probably one type was originally from the GAZ 66, the other might come from a ZIL. Both use the same connections, taken into pieces they look like this:

Best regards

Marcus, still without driving practice on BRDM :whistle:

gaz 66

Post by gaz 66 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:42 pm

Me again...

can you post a picture of the connection in the middle of the wheel please?

At the GAZ 66 this connection looks like this, the critical component there is an O-ring 10x2 mm, easily available at the local hydraulic store.

As I was too lazy to replace the thin paper gasket I used a Hylomar equivalent.

Best regards

Marcus

[RA]FW200

Post by [RA]FW200 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for the help! Found a webshop which has the Überwurfschraube so I can order them from there and have my local technical shop make up the rest..

Sadly I don't have any pictures of the connection in the middle of the wheel.. I did remove the wheels plus brake drums a while ago and made pictures but none show the connection..
The rest of the CTIS might be in the brake drum cover anyway? Which is not the part I photographed..

BRDM-2 is currently in storage and I can do small stuff on my own but removing a wheel is a 2 man job :P

Here they are anyway:

Searching for:

gaz 66

Post by gaz 66 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:36 pm

OK,

these pictures show what I wanted to see.
BRDMbrake4.jpg
BRDM CTIS Connection
BRDMbrake4.jpg (17.51 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
The left arrow points to the connecting tube to the reservoir and to the compressor. The right arrow points to the hole similar to the construction at the GAZ 66. You will most probably need the same o-ring as we did.

The 90 degree connection will be made from copper or cunifer, there will be standard 'Bördel'-connections as used in hydraulic braking systems.

Anyhow, it is a good idea to take the valves into pieces, clean them as described in my blog including the valve seat, replace all rubber parts, prepare new copper or cunifer tubes.

Working on these small parts is an easy job that can be done at home and does not need a big workshop.

Best regards

Marcus

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:44 pm

You can get banjo connectors with that pitch thread that are for brake pipes, you can also buy the bits to make your own hoses if needs be, could be an alternative if you struggle getting original parts.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

gaz 66

Post by gaz 66 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:54 am

Hi,

if anyone around could check the diameter of the copper tubes and the precise type of the flared tube ends that would be nice.

If the combination with the Citroen nuts (M12x1,25) does not exactly fit at the bottom of the thread, this should not be a significant problem as the expected pressure of the air is much lower than the usual hydraulic pressure in the brake system. In addition - when the valves are closed when driving - even loss of air pressure at that point is no real problem.

So, taking valves and tubes into pieces, cleaning everything - especially the valve seats, exchanging all rubber parts, purchasing the nuts, preparing new tubes with the right ends and the CTIS should be completely overhauled, at least at the wheel side.

Best regards

Marcus

[RA]FW200

Post by [RA]FW200 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:09 pm

These should work right?
http://www.bremsleitungen-online.de/nip ... -635mm.php

The rest of the (rubber) parts are pretty much in excellent condition on the BRDM..
Searching for:

gaz 66

Post by gaz 66 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi,
[RA]FW200 wrote:These should work right?
http://www.bremsleitungen-online.de/nip ... -635mm.php
Yes, these are the ones I am using, I got them from my local Citroen workshop.
[RA]FW200 wrote:The rest of the (rubber) parts are pretty much in excellent condition on the BRDM..
I am talking about the O-ring inside the connection in the middle of the wheel and about the small rubber rings 3/8"x8mm. Did you already take the valves at the wheels into pieces? I used a special grease type called 'Hahnfett' that is used for water installations. The rings 3/8"x8mm were available at a local DIY-store, 4 of them for 1 EUR. There was also a thin metal ring in the same dimension on top of the rubber rings, I reused these rings but have some in spare in case you cannot get them. The 8mm hole of the metal rings was nit the problem, the oute diameter of the standard parts was slightly to large.

Best regards

Marcus

[RA]FW200

Post by [RA]FW200 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Well I got them in... and they're the wrong size...
Checked it with a thread gauge (which I should have done sooner, my stupid mistake) and it's definatly M12 x 1....

So I have a pile of the M12x1.25 ones now with no use for them :P Should sell them to Citroen guys...

And now to find M12x1 ones :)
Searching for:

gaz 66

Post by gaz 66 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi,

sorry for that. It seems that they use different parts. If you do not get rid of them let me know, I might need some more of them.

Best regards

Marcus

Edit: Typo
Last edited by gaz 66 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

[RA]FW200

Post by [RA]FW200 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:28 pm

No worries, I should have checked myself..
Found a cheaper Dutch webshop which has the M12x1 so no more waiting for 2 weeks :)
Searching for: