I got one I got one

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

paulob1

I got one I got one

Post by paulob1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 am

okay the engine has been a bit buggered and may need a new one in the near future but it is mine...payment being made today...and it will be mine...is that good news or what...more bloody work for me but its a done deal, been waiting too long to bother about it now...

Ditch

Re: I got one I got one

Post by Ditch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:19 am

Which Tatra is it and what kind of body?
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

813, cargo body
double cab

with winch but the plan will be to fit a crane and other goodies to make her really useful...

Paul

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Oi you, don't go nicking my ideas :lol:

Congrats though Paul, if you need any help with anything just ask.

What's the score with the engine?
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:53 pm

apparently the thing ingested a bit of water and stood for ages...thing was seized but the bores look a bit rusty and need honing a bit, but otherwise it seems okay...wont take me and the boys long to have her fixed...

Paul

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:18 am

Ah that'll be Duncans in Scotland then?

IIRC it needed a little bit more than just work on the engine, it's also missing a fair few items. Definitely not a project for the faint hearted!...or those with a light wallet :D

Still it would be good to see someone taking it on, it would be a shame for it to just go to waste. If your in need of an engine; mine might be going spare shortly, I'm upgrading to the later 19L V12 twin turbo lump, I may also have a couple of decent second hand tyres available soon.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:10 am

John,

Your putting me off now...what else needed doing do you think...I was thinking of getting one of the twin turbo big lump engines for it anyway so would not need your one, unless I am really stuck..

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Sorry Paul that's not my intention, It's not all that bad and I know it will be a bargain at the sort of money Duncan would be asking for it, yea sure it needs a bit of work but I'm sure you'll have it sorted in no time, and don't forget this one is already in the country and registered. :wink:

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:20 pm

its agri registered I think

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:34 pm

paulob1 wrote:its agri registered I think
Yea I remember about the reg, that's a god send if you intend on using it for the odd bit of work, you'd have a hard time trying to get one done as that now.

Actually apart from the engine and the odd cosmetic blemish I don't think the truck was that bad really, IIRC the cab looked quite sound other than the odd bit of corrosion on the door panels (normal for a Tatra that age) & needing a splash of paint.

You've not done bad buying that truck! - It's only ever going to go up in value, especially if you tart it up.

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 am

John,

Who does parts for the tatras and how much is a new engine...will the new engine just bolt to the old gearbox or does it need a new box too...

Paul

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:22 am

Paul - sound like you have yet another project :shock: - Excalibur have loads of bits including take out and new engines - the guys I just bought my Praga bits from north of Prague also have some new parts.
Rob

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:45 am

Rob, did Scott sell his spares or repair one near you?
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:20 am

yep - was deffo a spares one unless you have a lot of time - went up north - think John knows who too but I can find out if need be - Paul whilst some parts for Tatras are cheap others are extreemly expensive :roll:
Rob

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:31 pm

paulob1 wrote:John,

Who does parts for the tatras and how much is a new engine...will the new engine just bolt to the old gearbox or does it need a new box too...

Paul
Plenty of parts still available for the 813, the parts have a commonality across a range of models. Cheap engines are also still easily available form a number of sources, the cheaper ones tend to be re-conditioned which is fine but most suppliers will ask for an exchange unit of the same type, however you can still get hold of crated engines that were intended for military use, these come complete with the bell housing/clutch and all ancillaries, these are basically ready to just drop straight in - engine can be changed in under an hour allegedly :D

To be honest though I think the original engine might still be salvageable, bores wanted a good honing but the bottom end was fine, you can buy just a few cylinders if need be as they are separates on the Tatra.
yep - was deffo a spares one unless you have a lot of time

:lol: Yea initially that was my thought too, but I've seen that truck again since & it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered - it looks a lot better now it's not parked in a pile of scrap, it's actually in not bad nick under the crappy paint, the only badly corroded bits were the door panels but they are easily repairable (flat panels), or just buy new ones if your really fussy. She was missing a starter motor and a few switches but these are easily obtainable, £165 for a new starter and a couple of quid for the switches, in fact if you buy a crated engine you'll get new starters with it anyway.

Mark Twain

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Abrs wrote: :lol: Yea initially that was my thought too, but I've seen that truck again since & it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered - it looks a lot better now it's not parked in a pile of scrap, it's actually in not bad nick under the crappy paint, the only badly corroded bits were the door panels but they are easily repairable (flat panels), or just buy new ones if your really fussy. She was missing a starter motor and a few switches but these are easily obtainable, £165 for a new starter and a couple of quid for the switches, in fact if you buy a crated engine you'll get new starters with it anyway.
Looking at your post you make it sound so easy John :lol: - I think I may have a few good photos of when it was on the back of the truck being transported up north ( not in a scrap yard ) - will try and find/post them and see what everyone else thinks :lol: :wink: .
Rob

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:56 pm

trouble is I dont want a project I want a working truck, my boys are not keen on doing it...so I am going to decline it I think...

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:10 pm

paulob1 wrote:trouble is I dont want a project I want a working truck, my boys are not keen on doing it...so I am going to decline it I think...

I thought you said you had already bought it?

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Yes I had every intention on buying it, but my boys say it is too much work, the sump off and open was a final straw....that engine will take some work to recover... and they would have to do it not me. I am getting as Rob said overloaded with projects and I DONT WANT TO END UP DISILLUSIONED SO I AM OFF LOOKING FOR PROJECTS I HAVE ENOUGH, I AM AFTER WORKING TRUCKS.

Malcolm and his kraz with trailer is looking ever more appealing...although Mark has a contact with a UK based one...that will be for sale soon...

Also hear David crouch has a good scammel..thats for me if I can get one...I am resigned to the fact that the Tatras will have to wait for a while longer...

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:04 pm

David Crouch is reasonable to deal with - we sold him a load of armour 18 months ago (3x 432 and a Chieftain + spares) and an MJ.
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm