813 kolos

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Eastblock

Re: 813 kolos

Post by Eastblock » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Is the one from Excalibur? It does look at bit rough in the pictures.

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:21 am

they got a load of them I think from Mortar investments, and they are not great...been sitting about for a long time...I thought they had some newish stock but they don't...

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 am

Abrs wrote:

that is a clever design, but it doesn't look to be a 'free' diff, it looks like a perminantly locked one to me :? do tatras have a selectable diff lock or are they perminantly locked?

Luke
x1 92' Suzuki SJ Image

And an interest in all things Russian!

FridgeF

Post by FridgeF » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 pm

I think the diff is actually longitudinal, but yes they have a full set of difflocks electro-pneumatically operated from two switches on the dash, one for the rear, one for the front. If they didn't have diffs they would be pretty hard to get round a corner :shock:

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:07 pm

FridgeF wrote:I think the diff is actually longitudinal, but yes they have a full set of difflocks electro-pneumatically operated from two switches on the dash, one for the rear, one for the front. If they didn't have diffs they would be pretty hard to get round a corner :shock:
thats what I was thinking! I imagine it would have handling characteristics of a pregnant whale especially on the road. I can't fathem how that diff works though, there just aren't any spider gears :? so how could it work unlocked?

Luke
x1 92' Suzuki SJ Image

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:36 am

It uses elliptical gearing and is located in the tube ahead of the crown wheel/pinion housing, the diff can be locked simply with a toothed ring slid into the assembly locking it so both pinions/crown wheels turn at the same speed, the inter-axle diffs operate in the same manner.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:34 am

still means I don't have one yet...and it is YET.

FridgeF

Post by FridgeF » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Having paid off the credit card I'm also tentatively on the look out again :D

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:36 am

Some more tech pictures and a nice little vid showing the operation of the half axle design.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRAqzv-bHS0[/youtube]

Differential arrangement:

Gearbox: (later type - 22 bearing constant mesh)

Nothing complicated there really :mrgreen:
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 am

ever so clever really, nice video on you tube....but, looking at that diagram,
the differential is between each 'axle' (i use the term loosly) rather than between the wheels on the same axle, I can only assume that with the hub reduction drive there is enough backlash in the gears, or even.... because it is so long, it might not even need an inter wheel diff,

Luke
x1 92' Suzuki SJ Image

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 am

lovely...I will never pay off my credit cards, I have too many and they give me too much credit so i use it all the time. Mind you my plan is to be free of them by mid year...unless I have to buy three more trucks..tatra star and new 4320

FridgeF

Post by FridgeF » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:58 am

Luke wrote:ever so clever really, nice video on you tube....but, looking at that diagram,
the differential is between each 'axle' (i use the term loosly) rather than between the wheels on the same axle, I can only assume that with the hub reduction drive there is enough backlash in the gears, or even.... because it is so long, it might not even need an inter wheel diff,

Luke
Luke, I think you're missing something - the differential unit is in the yellow part and drives the blue/pink parts accordingly, being locked together by the inter-axle difflock which is the green part. The service manual lists both cross-axle diffs and inter-axle diffs.

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:05 pm

so the orange part ıs the ınteraxle dıff....whıch has a green bıt whıch then can be locked to the next ın lıne paır...

so asumıng these are all ındıvıdually controllable could you could start wıth front wheel drıve then workback untıl you have 8 wheel drıve and vıce-versa...

Or does ıt go ın a set pattern ıe rear ınner set fırst then rear set and or rear front paır then the front paır....ıf ıts vıa a tube central shaft that seems logıcal...

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 pm

I see! your right I had missed that blue pinion has the pink bit running inside it at a different rate.....I thought they were fixed! do'h!

another question....... when its a through diff for an intermediate axle, which side drives the next set, it looks like the pink drives it through, but i'd have thought it would need a seperate locked shaft to carry on the drive, that way..... (another bit of lateral thinking) if the pink sided of the diff wheel was stuck and it put all the power to the blue diff side wheel, the power wouldn't be transmitted to the axles after this one, so applying that logic.... I'd have thought if you put your foot on the loud pedal it would spin up the first 'blue' wheel on the drive train rather than powering the entire drive system,

if you see what I mean!

Luke

P.s. I'm sorry I'm pestering with all these questions
x1 92' Suzuki SJ Image

FridgeF

Post by FridgeF » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:43 pm

The locker switches lock one end of the truck (front 4 / back 4) so maybe that helps explain things?

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm

so its 4 wheel or eight wheel drive with dif locks on each axle and between each set of four wheels but not between the pair of wheels, is that right...it means that each pair of wheels can rotate on one shaft (relative) when the other wheels are driving...hmm its not as good as I thought...this must reduce the effort exerted...if its right?

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 pm

hmm no I guess the rear two and the front two are locked together by not having a diff between them..a la zil and ural...ah now i understand...i think...am i right you guys who know?

FridgeF

Post by FridgeF » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44 am

I think, to save having seven separate switches on the dash, they gang the lockers together so you can lock the back end and/or the front end with a single switch.

Basically, everything has a differential and everything has a locker as far as I can tell.

That means, in reality you have the potential for it to be one-wheel-drive (fully unlocked) or 8-wheel-drive (all locked) or a load of other combinations.

I will stress that this is what I believe to be the case from deduction, looking at the manuals, a couple of test drives, talking to owners, and YouTube ;)

The last guy who we visited (who also has an 815) pointed out that the Tatra is rare in having a full set of lockers, as the temptation amongst the inexperienced (AKA squaddies) is to just lock everything and plant it - which of course breaks things, especially in front axles. The MAN KAT trucks for example do not have front lockers at all to make them more "squaddie proof", if you check some of the truck trial / rally videos on YouTube you'll see them make more of a meal of things than Tatras and other old-school stuff (made before common sense was outlawed).

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:45 am

Ok, this is a little tricky to put into words :? , but basically each axle diff operates as a normal open diff when not locked, in the diagram it looks as if the two pinion gears are attached to the same shaft, however this is not the case, the pinion nearest the differential is only sleeved onto this pinion shaft and can turn independently of it, this shaft itself only turns the pinion furthest from the differential, however another main drive shaft is hidden inside this outer pinion shaft, it's this internal shaft which caries drive to the planetary geared axle differential via one of the three inter-axle differentials (torque dividers) unless it's the diff closest to the torque divider, in which case the toque divider is bolted directly to the axle diff. With all diff locks off this system can allow the largest proportion of drive to be sent to any one wheel (although this is unlikely) - whichever one is easiest to turn or is turning the fastest, this helps prevent the drive-train from being subjected to wind-up which would otherwise be encountered during turns or going over rough ground.

If that makes any sense :wink: :lol:

Mark Twain

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:14 am

:mrgreen: It all makes sense now, Its nice to know how things work
x1 92' Suzuki SJ Image