Ural 375 finally gets a new heart -

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

vtunimog

Ural 375 finally gets a new heart -

Post by vtunimog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:13 pm

I finally found the time to start my replacement of the sadly dead 7L V8 in my 375. I decided on an International/Ford 7.3L V8 Powerstroke diesel. should fit nicely and found some space for the eletronic control unit mounted to the passenger side fender wall. gearbox is going to be tricky but I believe we can have the drive shaft cut, resized, and balanced to fit the new transmission. I using an allison "New World" automatic. I hate automatic "slush box" type transmission but I think the gearing on the Ford ZF made 5 speeds is just not enough to push the truck down the road.

I know some folks in the UK have put Perkins diesels in the Urals, any other donors ? I heard there was a Cummins powered Ural or Zil running about.
Chris M
1981 Ural 375D -
Next Eastern Bloc truck - Gaz 66?

ChrisClemson

Re: Ural 375 finally gets a new heart -

Post by ChrisClemson » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:03 am

vtunimog wrote: I know some folks in the UK have put Perkins diesels in the Urals, any other donors ? I heard there was a Cummins powered Ural or Zil running about.
The one in my ZIL 131 is a Cummins, but the previous owner did all the conversion work!
It doesn't sound as good as a V8, but it does mean it has more power, and I can drive it around without going bankrupt....

wovenrovings

Post by wovenrovings » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:30 am

You know the urals are now sold with a straight 6 diesel. They sound very refined. Odd for a Ural... :-o

vtunimog

Post by vtunimog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 pm

wovenrovings wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:30 am
You know the urals are now sold with a straight 6 diesel. They sound very refined. Odd for a Ural... :-o
what do they call people who resurrect long-dead threads with a reply, I think that may apply to me. not only am I responding nearly two years after the last response in this forum but I posted about a truck for sale on gaz66.ru (in my poorly translated Pidjin Russian) that was nearly 9 years old (only after responding did I realize that). Anyways, back when we were on speaking terms with Mr Putin I had good contact with the folks in Miass - they were incredibly accommodating for some strange Yank with one of their trucks made back in Soviet days. They did tell me they could supply a Ural with a number of engines currently including a Cummins and Caterpillar option.
Chris M
1981 Ural 375D -
Next Eastern Bloc truck - Gaz 66?