ZIL 131 flatbed&ramps?? steadily "modifiying & re-inventing"

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Matruck131

ZIL 131 flatbed&ramps?? steadily "modifiying & re-inventing"

Post by Matruck131 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

engine wont run!!!. most likely caused by removing everything and hot wiring a new coil a while back, also fitted an accuspark pickup. (worked ok for a while) so I've seen a spark from each plug and I've had it running like a pig with footloads of throttle pumping. im getting backfire from the carb too. can anyone number the firing order after no1 cylinder for me!? ive searched and searched but every time i get to the vehicle i get no closer. current order is... 1, 5, 4, 2, 6, 3, 7, 8.. any advice on screw turns on the adjusting screws around the carb would be great too!!

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Re: ZIL 131 flatbed&ramps?? steadily "modifiying & re-invent

Post by Abrs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:58 pm

The firing order is correct but make sure you have identified No.1 position on the cap correctly, and that the rotor arm is indexed properly if the dizzy has been removed from the engine. The two screws at the base of the carb only adjust low speed running mixture, wind them all the way home gently and then back out one and a half turns, the truck should run reasonably ok like this, but fine tuning should be carried out once the engine has warmed up. So exactly what do you have in the way of ignition components currently? If the original coil is being used a ballast resistor should be used but running at full voltage for short periods for testing purposes shouldn't harm the coil, if you still get a good blue spark it should be ok.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Matruck131

Post by Matruck131 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks mate the order was my first thought so ive been tinkering with that for a long time!! but "Betty" is up and running now! :D :D cleaned out the carb and replaced all the jets and bits. just couldnt believe it was the fuel supply causing the issues! anyway.. onwards and upwards! so next im completely removing anything unnecessary that is left on the loom. i would like to keep all the original gauges as well as putting rpm counter and auxiliary switches in. ive replaced the o/m coil with an after market 12v one so hopefully thats all simple enough, hotwired that straight through the key. and replaced all ht leads and plugs with readily available ones. now.... is there a simple explanaition available for the charging system? i would like to make it through the original ammeter but i want to bypass everything else.
cheers for the help!! couldnt spend another day not hearing that loverly v8 twin pipe roar :ban :ban :-BD :-BD

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:13 am

Nice one :) Did you say twin pipes?....Just make sure both banks of cylinders are linked fairly close to the engine, the Zil engine is designed to scavenge quite hard, they don't run that well with two totally separate exhaust systems ;)

Was your truck an early one with a points type ignition?

This is a scan of a schematic for the old type r51 generator system, I also have one for the later r250 alternator type, let me know and I can get it scanned later & post it up if that's the one you need. Regards

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain