UAZ 469b restauration, first project

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Victor87

UAZ 469b restauration, first project

Post by Victor87 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 am

Hi all,

I've finnaly received my UAZ469,
It's my first soviet car, my first oldtimer, and the first car on witch I'll need to work... won't be easy, but I'll learn how to do it correctly (with the help of friends like Neil, always happy to help me :) )

So... some of my questions will sound really stupid as I know nothing in mechanics... but some guy one said "there is always a begining".

For now no big issue on the UAZ, the engine starts easier than I expected, electric part is new (but not good enough for me, so I'll redo it in the future), the only problem I've spoted is an oil leaking between engine and clutch (one or two drop when I park the UAZ, not really bad but I want to sort this out before to plan any long trip)

I'll update the post with pictures of the UAZ "how I bought it", then pictures to show the WIP (and keep memories of it)

Today, I'll do some "rust scratching" on the chassis... there is surface rust almost everywhere and I don't want to see it worsten in the future (I've supposed it's the corrosion made by salt on winter... the car was in center of Germany before, they have really cold winters and put too much salt -here in south belgium too btw-)
I think a good anti-rust and paint coat, and avoiding driving after they put salt will avoid it turn bad.

that's all for now
pictures to come, I'll also give you an idea of this oil leak so you'll be able to give me some clues (but I've my idea on it ;), hope it's not worst than I think )

Rustypants

Re: UAZ 469b restauration, first project

Post by Rustypants » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 am

Hi Victor
Looking forward to seeing the photos.
You can buy various rustproofing treatments for the chassis etc. a popular one over here is Waxoyl. You spray it into cavities and underneath, remains semi wet , the idea is if a stone hits the body and chips some away it eventually reseals itself hence protecting the metal. Its not the best one there are lots better. POR 15 product is supposed to be good, have a look at this company, they sell useful stuff for you. http://www.frost.co.uk

Good luck with the restoration

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 am

a few drops of oil on tarmac-then leave well alone for now :) to cure that is major rebuild time and if not got a lot of mechanicing experience then not the best place to start.its probably coming from the rear engine seal and to fix that its engine out and strip down and complete rebuild!my advice is just live with it for now.wont do any harm driving it and if one checked-most vehicles on this forum probably loosing a small amount of oil from the same spot.just owning a russian vehicle for any length of time will improve your mechanicing skills/understanding of systems involved and better to learn that way rather than dive in at the deep end-which fixing that seal would be.it is a non essential repair so i'd stick to the more essential stuff first.

funkypete
Site Admin

Post by funkypete » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 pm

My 452 has many small leaks. Just keep putting more in the top!
UAZ 452
Russian Sankey trailer
Mz Etz 125

aardvark64

Post by aardvark64 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Consider it as a slow oil change... Your engine will always have fresh oil that way. I put a drip tray under my Trabant when it's not in use to catch the spots.

Best wishes, Colin
Last edited by aardvark64 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trabant - Kleinwagen mit Grosser Zukunft

.... photobucket ate my signature, Flickr put it back ...

YA3, 3иL - If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand...

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm

thanks all for your advices :)
I'll concentrate the work on more important things as it seems the oil leak won't be an issue (I saw that after today's 60km trip... oil level haven't changed)

I had my first issue today, electrical one (but it was only a burned fuse... already repaired)

Today's question now :
> I noticed that my UAZ tend to turn right when I brake, same when accelerating
Same wheel (front right so), is really "bumpy", especially on 1st and 2nd gears, it almost disapear in 3rd and noting in 4rd.
I think it's a spring issue, but I'm not sure... what do you think ?(before i take the wheel off)

Here today's pictures, you'll have a better idea of the UAZ condition

Bonus question :
Do you have any idea of what was used to fix the upper doors ? I don't have any screws so I used some I found here but impossible to do so with the central "external" one (the one who stabilises the door, if you see what I mean :D -it's too shaky now, really ennoying-)

I've other questions about tools used to be carried in UAZ, I've a lot of clamps/fixations, but I don't know what for (only thing I've found was shemes to put the roof parts under the back seats and so)

Jorgus1983

Post by Jorgus1983 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Like your UAZ a lot - especially you have a hazards light switch - very useful :)

asg

Post by asg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi Victor87 if you look at my Uaz restoration i used double sided tape under the door tops, then stuck on the black trim which you can buy per Metre. Then i put 3 bolts through. This is a link to my page if you scroll down you will see an example with the rear door offside door.
Andrew http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/ph ... 6&start=20

haymish

Post by haymish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 pm

steering strangely like that could possibly be caused by freewheeling hubs-if on your uaz?one engaged one not engaged.or a dragging brake.

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:50 am

I'll take a look at that today or tommorow :)

@ Andrew : your UAZ is lovely, thanks for the idea (I've bought some meters of this black thing last day, and I'll have to change all the doors/windows rubers in the future)

funkypete
Site Admin

Post by funkypete » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:19 am

On the hubs, Undo big hex cap cover. Makes sure there both in or preferably both out, in free wheel mode! Wind them out until a turned line is level with outer thread of the hub. This will disengage the hubs, if its the same axle as mine. Other than that check the brakes are good, jack up and make sure its not dragging. There are cams to set up shoes to drums, but proberly seized like mine are.
UAZ 452
Russian Sankey trailer
Mz Etz 125

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am

Okey thanks !
Will follow your indications ;)

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Bad news :
> the direction bar (not the correct word at all, but can't found it in english), so picture is better (see under)
I'm pretty sure that the french transporter towed the car, and attached it there... what a good idea he had, love him ~X(

BTW, now I know why it's so shaky when driving it.

here the pic :

Question to fix it :
> is it possible to find spare one ?
> Do I have to ask someone to make one ?
> is it really complicated to replace ?

Thanks for this

and strange issue :
This night, UAZ sprayed more oil...
> bigger spot, other small ones are from yesterday and day before, and from some azardous anti-rust/grease repealant I've put on dirty plates on the car's floor (so, grease melted and felt on the floor...)

Have put new in it, nothing happens, no more leak, 1 drop only during all day
:-? maybe it's from other part than engine ? (possible it's gearbox oil ??)

Now the good part
> took all seats off, started the cleaning job,
> changed all screws so I've only one size, no more "random screws" everywhere.
> Took one hour to dismount the doors sealings, too old and cracked, new ones are already on the way home :-)
> took a look at the LPG instalation, seams to be okay and working, but I'll have to take it out before I go to the Technical Control (or they'll ask me to give them conformity documents, that I don't have as it's not... :D ), can't take it out alone btw, will need help from friends.

As you can see, garage is small, I had to be outside to take the seat off, now I've more room in the UAZ itself so it's not more an issue
works like "changing parts" will have to be done outside (or, at least, with the alf of the car outside :D)

haymish

Post by haymish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 am

if got access to hydraulic press then bar can be straightened provided not deformed too much.shouldn't really do that but done several with no problems and would keep you going till find another one.

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 am

@Haymish : should be my solution, before I find another one.

I've worked on it yesterday too :

Did some basecoating as weather is up to 10° (normally it haves to be more like -10° now... but seems winter forgot to come)

Grey primair test on the door's inside, will have to find another one as this one isn't so good.

and Black primair on the gearbox cover/dashboard/heating cover, gearbox levers

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 am

@Jorgus1983 : a bit late > yes I've noticed it last day :) ,
when taking some old paint off yesterday I saw some red paint on the doors, and that there's a white band coming all round the UAZ

The only info I've on the first assignations of my UAZ are :
06-01-76, first immatriculation in Red army
sometime during 1981, sent to DDR and repainted

I've 3 differents layers of paint on it

-1st is satin Soviet green with a white band all round the car applied with a brush, and red bands on the front doors.
-2nd is sort of light DDR green, but applied with caution and avoiding covering rubbers and black parts.
-3rd is a much darker DDR green, applied everywhere it was possible

amazing how paint can tell us stories :)

iannima

Post by iannima » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 pm

You already know that your Uaz was in service in the DDR :-BD ... but for your information, also your tail lights, front towing pintle and wing mirrors are all DDR... :-B The white/red paint traces you have found might be an indication that your vehicle was a military police one.
This is the Soviet paint scheme:
http://www.gsvg.ru/img/technik/uaz-452.jpg
And the DDR one is both red and white:
http://file1.npage.de/003933/34/bilder/ ... laa-kd.jpg
(sorry it is only a model... I cannot find a period photograph right now)
and white only:
http://www.bildermicha.de/Blaulichtoldi ... ife-03.jpg

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:09 pm

thanks for the pics,
I already know that all those details are DDR modifications, maybe I'll change it in the future, but as long as it's working there is no hurry

today I did another little drive with it, and I noticed an other oil leak (gearbox losing oil), and another, more consequent, at the back of the UAZ (haven't looked at it yet, it's sunday and I've already worked on it during 3 complete days :-B )

But beside oil leaks, it's a fantastic car, I think I'll use it next time I have to gather some wood for my reserve or when I'm going to do some woodcuting jobs. (it's made for this, so I won't miss any occasions)

I won't be able to work on the car before next weekend, so I wish you all a good week ! :-BD

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:32 pm

I took a pic to show you where oil is leaking

As you can see, it's all dirty, and covered with old hardened oil... don't know where to start with that!
In the center of pics, there is a 1cm long for less than 1mm large cut, I think made by little rocks or so, but as I'll have to take it off to put a new sealing, I'll have the opportunity to fix it too #:-s

By the way, with my nul mechanic skills, I'm really feeling like a conscript, who received an old uaz with officer saying "fix it, or you'll go in jail!", and I don't know yet where to start !
~X(

beside that, I fixed a leak on the echapement line, was situated between engine and echapement (some guy put a new line, but he didn't made it... shame !)

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Got the time to work on the UAZ 1 hour after work today
> removed the DDR bumper
> cleaned the front lights and repainted the black covers

Found a way to remove the old fuel pump, one bolt was missing and the gasket is shot, cleaned it, now I've to go to my supplier to buy the bolt's brother.
It will be a pain to put it back in place, but I'll find a way !

It needed a cleaning !