UAZ 469b restauration, first project

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Angkor-UAZ

Re: UAZ 469b restauration, first project

Post by Angkor-UAZ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 pm

You are worried about a leak from that cut on that cover. I am not sure if there is supposed to be oil in that cover, or where it is coming from.

Standard vietnamese procedure is to completely remove that cover and throw it away, leaving the gears exposed on every 4x4.
I have no idea why. I flipped out when I first noticed it on my US Jeep. I went to a repair shop and asked them about the covers.
The man pointed to a pile of them in the corner and said I could have one, he removes them from all the jeeps he repairs/ sells.

In Cambodia my UAZ 469 came from vietnam and surprise, the cover was missing, i drove it for a few months until I had a man fabricate a new cover from some sheet metal, they thought I was weird to waste time and money on something like that.
the vehicle has been driving for years with no cover.

back to my point about the oil leaking, there isnt any oil in that cover, you should find out where it is coming from, not just seal up the holes.

Angkor-UAZ

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:39 pm

:)) the vietnamese will be taking the cover off because they all leak oil there :)) .if cover on and too much accumulates it knackers the clutch plates-therefore remove cover and it can't.of course there shouldn't be an oil leak there but in reality over 90% of all old vehicles will leak there-and as said earlier in thread-if its only leaking a reasonable amount just live with it cos the cure is long and expensive.-complete engine strip down to get to the naughty seal,and while you are at it better have a complete gearbox strip down too cos some probably from seal in that too!.put it all back together and dont be surprized if it still leaks-but maybe a bit less-because most of these older vehicles have wept from the back engine seal from new :D

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Don't these have a felt type crank seal? If so some of these come in two halves meaning it can be changed with the engine in still in the vehicle, actually some engines with rubber seals facilitate changing the seal in the vehicle without the need to strip the engine down, it depends on how the seal is held in place, sometimes it is necessary to take the sump off and remove a main bearing cap as it also holds the seal, you would also need to remove the gearbox and flywheel in order to get at it - all part of the joy of owning old vehicles ;)

If it's a felt seal be careful which oil you use, most modern oil contain additives/detergents that damage the seal.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Angkor-UAZ

Post by Angkor-UAZ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 am

With it being so dusty over here anything with oil on it soon has a large collection of grime from the oil/dirt mixture, my oil pan is covered, my fuel pump is covered, any leaks or drips gather dirt and dust. but the exposed clutch plates were always dry and clean, compared to everything else, no oil dripping from them.

And since the roads look like this you think they would be more worried about mud in the clutch than a bit of oil

Angkor-UAZ

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:28 pm

:D thanks for your advices !
I'll follow your ideas and try to sort this one day (not now, as I've to find a bigger garage before to be able to strip the engine)
BTW, it can stay like this a while, as long as I think to take a regular look at it, adding oil if needed

Just have to look if there is no oil where it's not supposed to be.

But now, have to put the presure on my garagist, the UAZ is on his lot since 2 weeks now and seems he did nothing (so, actually I've a 40cm coat of snow over it... :ban )

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Snow on a UAZ is good - makes it feel at home :) :)
Neil.

1969 FV622 Stalwart 19 ET 90 STALII/629 - now sold after loss of storage :(
1973 Series 3 109" FFR 55 FM 58 -
1978 Czech OT-90 - now has the PKT mounted, just need the KVPT....
UAZ 469

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 am

:whistle: 40 cm on it now,
the garagist was too lazy to take a look at it, so I took a walk to his garage and reminded him I was waiting... seems to work as he took a rendez-vous for the TC as soon as I entered his office :twisted:

My battery is dead now BTW X_X

He confessed : "I don't want to drive it on the snow + it's too cold in it"... argh, and he pretend to be a man... =))

RangerNeil

Post by RangerNeil » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Oh dear...... :)) :))
Neil.

1969 FV622 Stalwart 19 ET 90 STALII/629 - now sold after loss of storage :(
1973 Series 3 109" FFR 55 FM 58 -
1978 Czech OT-90 - now has the PKT mounted, just need the KVPT....
UAZ 469

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:51 pm

the UAZ is waiting for new engine parts (Distributor and carburator... both are failing, and it was soooo cheap that I decided to buy new ones :D )

I received my first order from Tamrot, it was so fast ! (2 days after the payement and it was on my frontdoor)

> it's used parts, as I don't want to spend my money on those easy repairable thingies ;)
-rear seat and all I needed to fix it
-radiator fan protection
-some spare tubes for the roof
-belts/straps for the roof
-new fanbelt
-goodies

Here it's how I received it :

After dismounting and cleaned :

Painted :

and washed :

> this, for only 240 PLN... a new one costs 450 PLN... good deal isn't it ?

Next :
> fake leather repairs (some glue, some fake leather bits... and roll on !)
> fixing in the UAZ (still at the garage, but I'm allowed to work a bit in it)

other pics soon.

Angkor-UAZ

Post by Angkor-UAZ » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Nice start.
make sure you use outdoor/ UV resistant material for the seat repairs if you plan to drive with the roof off, or the sun will fade and destroy it.

Does the 2 halves of the rear seat fold separately?
mine has been welded together, and with non-original cushion it can't fold up anymore.

Angkor-UAZ

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:16 am

Yes, it's a 2/3 - 1/3 folding
II hope it wont be too shaky, there is only 2 fixations (one on each side, 2 simple svrews on each "legs") I hope it to be strong enough
Then I will have to find a way to instal safety belts on all seats.

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Received some parts and bits from Tarmot :

As the weather is quite better now, I did some tests for the future repaint :

I have to keep it in running condition as I have to use it almost every weekends for spare jobs, like woodcuting and gardener jobs...:-BD (next job to come : carry BIG rocks for a friend that saw some in a forest here... no access by road, only my UAZ -or a lumbering truck- can do that)

:whistle:

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Work is going on...
new carb, new distributor, new air filter and oil filter are waiting beside the UAZ
a new fuel pump (mechanical one) will be installed in place of the Robur electric one that's in place (and that's failing now)

:-BD

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 am

Hi guys,
After 5 mounths waiting for the garage to "have time to work on it", my UAZ is finnally in good order for the technical control here :-)

It's really nice to see it starts/stops correctly, with no more oil leaks on the engine (had many oil presure problems, now it's gone, so happy)

Next step will be to take pictures of the work done on it, post it here, then start the chassis repainting (I'll use the UAZ to work on woods this summer, so it's more important than its look)

iannima

Post by iannima » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:00 pm

I look forward to the pics :-BD

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 am

Okay,
Got to take the UAZ back now, hope I'll have time for this one day afterwork this week !

I'll start the paintjob right after, 3 weeks hollidays with nothing planned and girlfriend haves to study for her memoire... that's perfect for me ! :whistle: (don't tell her!)

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:25 am

Things are slowly moving.
Today, I'll remove the windshield and engine cover, then I'll be able to start the sanding before painting.

Any idea of a good technique to sand the chassis, where the chassis number is, without erasing it ? (it is simply stamped on it, not quite visible and I NEED to make it visible for the technical control)

I hope I'll found someone to look at my brakes... the mechanics "can't" do it, he simply dismount the front brakes and stoped there... so now I've an UAZ without brakes... oh joy !
I don't know how to do that, so if it's possible to do it myself without "special tools" please let me know :)
> I only need to purge it, put new liquid and replace the brake flexible pipies (that was the problem on mine... old one obtured all the time)

Victor87

Post by Victor87 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 am