Modified Zil

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

marcus

Re: Modified Zil

Post by marcus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Left all the valves open and shes lost half a bar in 24 hours, think i'll be closing the valves too ;) 20 minutes is way too much fuel to use just to blow tyres up :-s

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Trouble with the CTIS on the zil is that the valve for each tyre is located on the axle hub itself not on the valve stem, this means you are relying on the connections on a small adjoining hose to be 100% airtight in order for your tyres to remain inflated long term, if you open the hub air valves then you also have to rely on a set of hub seals for each tyre and the main control valve in the cab being airtight, which to be honest is very unlikely, the valves are only intended to be opened when needed and remain closed the rest of the time. If you don't need the CTIS often I would suggest fitting standard tyre valves into the stems as the sealing washers on the hoses often leak a little over time as do the hub valves more often than not.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

marcus

Post by marcus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Yeah cheers John, I did wonder about the air tightness of the rubber hoses onto the valve stems :-? Sprayed them with gas leak detector spray and they seemed ok, time will tell. It's such a pain in the bum to keep taking off the metal covers off the rubber hoses :shoot:

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 pm

If you do find a leak use a bit of washing up liquid on the rubber grommet, it helps the rubber bond to the stem etc after a while.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Iain

Post by Iain » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:12 pm

I leave my CTIS closed most of the time because my master cylinder leaks quite a bit. The CTIS itself doesnt leak at all, touch wood ;)

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:28 am

CTIS is mega reliable, I have had a few issues but entirely due to lack of use and old hoses are easy to replace, it also makes the trucks much more driveable off road so its worth keeping it live...

marcus

Post by marcus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Zil lover

Post by Zil lover » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Please translate...x

marcus

Post by marcus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:34 am

:D You really think I'm gonna tell you what it says? :))

marcus

Post by marcus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

Fitted the piggyback brakes to the front axle, now all I need is somewhere to try them :D

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:01 am

you are having a lot of fun with that zil marcus...

marcus

Post by marcus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 am

Ought to of come down your way this weekend Paul, never been to Slab Common :(

Got spare wheel carrier to make now then pull all the rusty bits off and spray them, then I can start on my JCB1 :groan:

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:49 pm

:)) you've got a grave digger? Could be handy at this years meet :D

What other interesting machines have you got?

Mark Twain

marcus

Post by marcus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Yeah I got a grave digger, cut my teeth on that beauty :D Grandad bought it from new and gave it to me a few years ago on the condition I didn't sell it. Gonna fully restore it, sign written etc, that's my next project. As for other toys I have the Scammell Explorer that was at Wagtails late last year plus a series one landrover on a FUV plate, built for the RAF I think and only 2WD, very rare but pointless having a 2WD landrover so father converted it to 4WD long ago and gave front beam axle away L-) Also a 1948 pre-production series one in very poor condition, don't know what to do with that one :( Binatone games console? =))

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:43 am

You're a lucky man. Is the Belarus yours? :D

Mark Twain

marcus

Post by marcus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:27 am

Belarus belongs to my boss, bought it ceased, apparently standing ceased, took main caps off and crank was scrap! Got new crank from Ukraine, rebuilt it last christmas and job is a goodun. If you ever see the DVD "giants of the field" L-) it's the actual one off it :-B Forgot to mention the Nuffield 4/65 fitted with 6 pot BMC, now that really is a nail :))

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:49 am

slab was okay but the M62 at 20 tons is not really what you would call an off roader. Had a really scary moment as I drove the truck home had gone about a mile up the road when it suddenly and violently started to bounce from one wheel to the next on the front axle, literally kangaroo-ing off each wheel shaking the cab like a little toy. it removed a lot of rust...I had left it in 6 x 6 and i guess it would up the axles until they had had enough then wham they let go on a bouncy bit of road. Thank heavens they did and did not break the diff or drives etc...I quickly switched to 6 x 4 and all was fine.. scary moment though...

would have been better with a zil...

marcus

Post by marcus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Not a good sensation is it Paul! First time I took the Explorer out I had the same thing happen, weak spring on selector rod. Smoked 10 fags before I could set off again X_X How many heavy vehicles usually attend Slab?

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 am

not many anymore, there were three this time me am tank tranporter and the centurion ARRV, plus two 101,s if you can call a 101 a heavy...very poor show,

we need more attendees.

marcus

Post by marcus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:33 am

Sorry I didn't attend, just pure lazyness on my part :( You come all the way to the midlands to attend a meet on my back door so it's only fair I should make the effort to do the same. Is always good to try different venues, will try and make it to Slab later in the year :D