Gaz 66 rear extension?

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

BarraGaz66

Gaz 66 rear extension?

Post by BarraGaz66 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi folks!

Can you think of any reasons that this would be a bad idea?

Extending the rear of Gaz cabin by about 6 ft to accomodate kitchen area and shower unit.

Only differences I can think of would be the reduction to ascent angle and the need to allow more space on corners.

I never had a problem with sudden steep ascents and think it would still have great ground clearance for more typical obstacles.

Originally planned to convert my 1 ton Sankey/Brockhouse trailer but have had problems maneuvering trailer and prefer this idea for extra space.

So the idea is hereby thrown out to be hammered about....

ussrjeppi

Re: Gaz 66 rear extension?

Post by ussrjeppi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm

very interesting and the only thing i see that might be a problem is the reduction to ascent angle and the need to allow more space on corners , how much do you think this extension wil wheigt will it be hevy or light .
Everyone should own a Soviet made car

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm

there possibly are legal problems.in uk max overhang from rear axle is 60% of the wheelbase.
and that includes spare wheel,tow bar,even a pushbike bolted on the back all has to count in the 60%

BarraGaz66

Post by BarraGaz66 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Hiy guys, thanks for comments...

I would keep the weight to minimum but guess it would be about 500kg

There's something about new EU law that UK ministry will consider re 60% overhang rule, but haven't a clue how to calculate if this extension would be within the EU law re 'rear swing' - I think needs to be under 1m based on their turning circle... need a genius to work that out...
link: http://www.wheelbase.net/legislation-he ... sions.html

perhaps I could just weld and old rear axle off a fiat 123 at the back of the extension and satisfy the legislation that way :ban

was wondering about flex in the body - probably need to use frame that allowed for flexibility as the Gaz rear cabin seems to flex alot off road

haymish

Post by haymish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:02 pm

just read that lot through about wheelbase/turning circle-and roughed it out.you havn't a hope of getting a 6foot extension if going to play by the rules.just done it roughly and reckon you eu legally could get just over 6foot from the axle back-not adding 6ft to what you already have.it works out at only inches more than the 60% allowed.not done it exactly but it wont be far off.

zoltan
Site Admin

Post by zoltan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:27 pm

BarraGaz66 wrote:
So the idea is hereby thrown out to be hammered about....

You ought to have waited another 24 days before you posted this :))

Do like the Star and have an extendable back. Doesn't help with the kitchen but you could put bunks etc in the extending bit
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

BarraGaz66

Post by BarraGaz66 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah I should've waited, will have to dream up something good for April fools

Extendable idea is interesting option - will have to consider it

Well thanks Hamish, that's why I put this here sooner rather than later, was thinking there'd be trouble - isn't that the way the world is these days

look at this getup - apparantly covered by the 60% rule... em maybe factor ground clearance into equation :clap:

I think my design would be more roadworthy than that thing

haymish

Post by haymish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:07 pm

the trouble doing it with a gaz is its really got such a short wheelbase-so 60% of not a lot isn't much and the short wheelbase accentuates the 'swing'.not sure how severely the rule is applied cos apparently some manufactured camper vans are built with too much,and then people add m'cycles ,pushbike racks etc and they appear to be getting away with it!

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 am

it cannot be that difficult to move the wheels back by 4 foot, extend the prop shaft and jobs done, no more problems an easier truck to drive, likely to be smoother on the road and totally legal...or simple bolt on a second wheel assembly axle etc, not sure how easy it would be to make it a driven wheel but the brakes would be easy enough and you would have not only a legal vehicle but a safer vehicle too...would be just as good off road too, nearly..

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 am

Overhang would be an issue I'm sure - also more weight to carry for a truck that already struggles up hills - why not but a bigger truck? - having said that the standard rear box on the Gaz is not much smaller than those on the 6 wheel drive trucks - have you had a look at the sideways expanding rear bodies as fitted to some Stars? - not seen one in the flesh but the idea seems reasonable - there should be a thread on them somewhere on the forum.
Rob

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 am

You can't really use the space over the cab like Oz did with his Zil because of the Gazs tipping cab but you could go higher with a roof tent or pop up.
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Actually you could do a Luton type body modification, on vehicles with a tilt cab the floor lifts out & a section of the front is hinged so the cab can clear it(i.e. on horseboxes etc), be ok if you just had the bed there, just remember to lock the front bit up or like someone I know of you could have a rather unpleasant awakening - silly women =))
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Rob Reznik wrote:Overhang would be an issue I'm sure - also more weight to carry for a truck that already struggles up hills - why not but a bigger truck? - having said that the standard rear box on the Gaz is not much smaller than those on the 6 wheel drive trucks - have you had a look at the sideways expanding rear bodies as fitted to some Stars? - not seen one in the flesh but the idea seems reasonable - there should be a thread on them somewhere on the forum.
I was thinking that! buy a zil or praga instead........

according to http://www.russianmilitary.co.uk/ the praga box is 1,000 mm longer :-? in pictures it looks alot longer!
x1 92' Suzuki SJ Image

And an interest in all things Russian!

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm

yep my favorite rear body and I have a spare one sitting in my unit just in case!! it has metal covers you can put on the outside to protect the windows and they slide straight down in the wall so no wasted space.
Rob

ussrjeppi

Post by ussrjeppi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Abrs wrote:Actually you could do a Luton type body modification, on vehicles with a tilt cab the floor lifts out & a section of the front is hinged so the cab can clear it(i.e. on horseboxes etc), be ok if you just had the bed there, just remember to lock the front bit up or like someone I know of you could have a rather unpleasant awakening - silly women =))

please explane the unpleasant awakening part.
Everyone should own a Soviet made car

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 pm

ussrjeppi wrote:
Abrs wrote:Actually you could do a Luton type body modification, on vehicles with a tilt cab the floor lifts out & a section of the front is hinged so the cab can clear it(i.e. on horseboxes etc), be ok if you just had the bed there, just remember to lock the front bit up or like someone I know of you could have a rather unpleasant awakening - silly women =))

please explane the unpleasant awakening part.
A very nice girl I know took an old Ford D series horsebox down to Penzance to pick up some horses for a friend, on the way down the water pump failed so they had have the cab tilted for repairs, she got it fixed and continued on her journey to Penzance, when she got there it was too late to make the pick up so she decided to park up and kip for the night in the wagon, anyway it turned out that she had forgotten to secure the latches for the front panel, she rolled over in her sleep and fell out the front of the wagon! #-o :)) - not funny really, she bust her arm.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain