Diesel zil.

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

paulob1

Diesel zil.

Post by paulob1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:04 am

Well I have a new engine, it is going first into the diesel zil which is producing a lot of blue smoke..I will then take photos of the install to help me do the other conversions..also fit a new clutch....work starts Monday

KarlJ
Site Admin

Re: Diesel zil.

Post by KarlJ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 am

Why the bonnet catches?

Looks nice in the sun shine.
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 pm

no spring catch...I am collecting your old Zil at last in 2 weeks...cannot wait..it will be getting a diesel engine...

Trapper Ind

Post by Trapper Ind » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Good luck paul..
we have nearly completed our zil 131 to diesel using a man 6cyl which fits a peach.. just gotta convert the gearstick from forward control to on top of gearbox :((
Nick
'You will never go to heaven with an AK 47'
http://www.trapperindustries.com
tank driving days:
www.trakdaze.co.uk

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:59 pm

paulob1 wrote:no spring catch...I am collecting your old Zil at last in 2 weeks...cannot wait..it will be getting a diesel engine...
Well the starter was a bit dodgy, and you can probably reuse the electronic ignition on something else. Glad to hear it's getting a proper home 'in the family'!
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

Zil lover

Post by Zil lover » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Which engine/ transmission combo will it be getting Paul ??

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:27 pm

its getting a brand new cummins straight 6, it already has one in already, so no more smoky joe, and we will then study the installation to prepare the next two trucks...then we will offer zil owners engine conversions, also looking into the ural conversion and a BRDM 2 that I may be getting.

Zil lover

Post by Zil lover » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:06 pm

The Cummins engine is a great powerplant, not a perfect installation choice but I cannot think of a better all round engine to fit. It,s bad points are massively outweighed by the good.

paulob1

Diesel zil.

Post by paulob1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:37 am

well the newish diesel engine is now in the old diesel zil, next i am replacing the crane for a more modern known good one, should just bolt straight in and then she will be just about perfect.

Next its onto the two off road zils, got to decide to either keep them petrol and go for haymish's 75/25 rule for petrol kerosene, kerosene at 66p per litre and petrol at 130 means that if I work on its 114 per gallon...still they only do 8 mpg, I have done the numbers and on a full tank with an extra 65 litres she has done 180 miles and is just below the filler , ie virtually full. I am assuming she has used around 90-100 litres worst case...so 1.8-2 miles per litre, this means around 8-9mpg, Okay it was on a steady run but its not as bad as 5 mpg...or 12 p per mile

However running on red diesel in a cummins she will get 15mpg even on site, use 66p per litre fuel and be much more practical...this will work out at around 4p per mile a third of the cost of the petrol option...so likely at least two zils will be getting a cummins engine fitted, flat bed and maybe Jans zil once it is here...I will likely go collect her in two weeks time...looking forward to that...

Want to get one of them road registered but as i cant get them aged at the moment i may have to go the Q plate route...unless I can get the mvt to age them...

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 am

there is some confusion re the ageing process the MVT carry out. It is a DVLA approved ageing process for any vehicle. they take all the information you have ie vehicle history if any and pictures and then with their historical records they calculate to within a few months its age. It isnt cheap as it is a very thorough process but if you have limited history and cannot get a letter of age from some group body then this is your only route,....if you want to get them on the road

Iain

Post by Iain » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:16 pm

I run my cummins on a 50/50 diesel used veggie oil mix. bit of a hassle cleaning the oil but it runs like a dream. In warmer weather or on a run you could easily go 30/70 or beyond. thats makes for a nice cost per mile calculation. :D

Zil lover

Post by Zil lover » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm

I love this Zil and with the Cummins is even better in my opinion. I will be fitting one later this year. The other combination which I could consider is the Ford/Navistar F350 7.3 V8 Turbo with either 5 or 6 speed manual or auto. The problem with this is the combo would cost more than the Zil in the first place!!!

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Iain do you just stick it in or filter it prior to useing. I am thinking of running mine through a zil oil cleaner to see if that would make it run any better...plan being to mix it with engine oil afterwards and run it in my zil diesel and multifuel trucks...

Iain

Post by Iain » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:58 pm

I let it settle for a few days then pour it through a one micron filter sock, ebay for quid or two :D then I pump it through a racor filter which is meant to be good for water content in fuels. I´m not sure if thats a worthwhile part of the process when it gets mixed with normal diesel, perhaps more important if I were to use it pure. Still in tinkering stage though :cowboy:

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:18 pm

sounds good I am going to be filtering a load of it too, got about 2000 litres to get rid of...biggest issue as i see it is getting it half way clean of the nasty bits...and then using it without trouble on the road...I was thinking that a mix would be the ideal...for the 432 for instance pure old engine oil fine, for the berliet same too...for the landys and pajero's maybe a bit more filtering and cleaning...we will see...

Iain

Post by Iain » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:29 am

I´ve been continuing the messing about and the filter sock seems to be for the costs and the volumes, the method I will be sticking with, I put the sock into a length of drainpipe, cut some holes in the bottom of the pipe and stand it in a black plastic barrel in the sun along with the dirty oil. In the afternoon when its nice and hot I pour it through, it goes pretty quick and then with a hose clamped to the barrel side so I dont suck up the dregs I siphon off the clean oil. I was under the impression that the required temperature for the water to separate was about 60c, I´m a long way short of that but I am accumulating water in the bottom of my barrel from somewhere :-s , still, at least its not in the fuel tank :D

filter bag something like this ebay item 180656180414, longer is better, you can get more in! ! micron is working just fine in my climate, might be a bit slow up north with you fellas ;)

The cost per mile at the moment is :x :x :x , shortly I will be making friends with some more restaurants ;) . was looking at full bio diesel set up but the hassle :-o

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 am

took re-engined zil for a test run, steering reservoir overfilled, exhaust clamp not done up and she definitely has less power than the old engine...thats not good. Worst news is she smokes just as badly as the old engine..bummer...am well annoyed...

other than that she is running fine.

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Mon May 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Bummer indeed, who sold you the engine - did you get to see it running first? If it's emitting white smoke & lacks power it could point to an injection problem, if it's blue it's gonna need a re-build at some point, or another engine.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Iain

Post by Iain » Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

My cummins smokes when its in the mood, doesnt use much oil but when its cold its, how should I say, cloaked in mystery ;) . Once it gets good and proper hot its a different story though B-)

Of all the tinkering and fiddling, finding a brand new set of injectors on ebay for 80 quid was total magic for the motor B-)

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 am

ah will look for a set of them then...