lookeelikee gaz 46 amphib

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

lookeelikee gaz 46 amphib

Post by haymish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm

well suppose i better write some ramblings cos i have started to build a gaz 46 imitation.first off -photo's.before you ask i have HERSELFS camera on charge as i write this,then will have to find ditch's instructions on how to get them onto photobucket then here :( .that i am not looking forward to.next any traditionalists-stop reading this now cos it could be bad for your health.at the very least put your horlicks down before you read on cos you dont want to spill it all over your keyboard when you start spluttering in outrage :D
the uaz chassis rob donated has had most of its brackets removed and been seam welded to help the thing float.my daughter was in need of me as a taxi service the other night so her payment was to work out the internal area of the box sections of the chassis.conservatively it came out at c.55litres-which means it could add 55 kilo's of weight if it got filled with water-not good if trying to stay afloat so before i welded up the last of the drainage holes i filled it with expanding foam :D so any problems there should be sorted[made it very unpleasant welding up the last holes-flames and horrible black smoke going everywhere.]
first major question was what engine to put in-diesel/petrol model etc.well it now has the engine insitu-and for some very good reasons its a landrover 2.25 :shock: whether it will be a petrol or diesel i havn't decided yet but it will be a 2.25 lr engine :D at the moment it has a very tired petrol engine just there so i can work out how what where etc.amazingly the lr engine and uaz engine have the same spacings etc for engine mounts so it basically drops straight in.all i had to do was drill some new holes to put it on lr rubber mounts.the only major difference is the lr chassis rails are wider so they can push the engine across using a very long chassis mount on the drivers side.on the uaz it means the engine is central unlike on a lr.bolted to that it has a series 3 gearbox.the mounting points are in line but need some work[new ones made]before it will bolt up.but the whole object of the exercize is that now the back of the lr gearbox now sits dead central in the chassis so the drive for the propellor is a straight line back which makes life much simpler.lr pto's are easy to find whereas uaz ones are as rare as rocking horse poo.some 452's have one on but have failed to find one anywhere hence the lr engine and gearbox going in.the propshafts all line up reasoneably for the diffs as well 8) .all will become apparent when i sort the photo's.next job is the gearbox mounts to be made,then its new rubber on them and ratchet straps round engine/gearbox and chassis cos next i have to turn the whole chassis +engine and gearbox over to start work on the underbelly.much more fun than scrapping with heavy engines and gearboxes.

Eastblock

Re: lookeelikee gaz 46 amphib

Post by Eastblock » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Haymish, you can email pictures to me and I'll host them and post them here. I have 3Gb webspace available.

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:26 pm

I think diesel would make sense with all that water about - S/H Andoria engines seem quite cheap in Poland but I can see the reasoning behind a LR one - I was thinking about putting a 200tdi that I have on the shelf in my Uaz but I couldnt handle the grief given by LR owners!!
Rob

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm

Diesel Haymish - It is comforting to know that when the only things above the water line are the snorkel and your head, the engine will still be powering you towards the slipway. :D
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

haymish

Post by haymish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:39 am

thanks eastblock-if it gets too fraught trying to sort photo watsit i will take you up on that.as for diesel verses petrol-well i prefere petrol engines but concede to the logic of swimming and a diesel.however if all that will be visible of my lookeelikee is a snorkel and my head then i've got something majorly wrong in the build :D .dont have to make up my mind for ages yet so will think on it.
p.s. i have no idea what 3 gb's of whatever actually is :lol:

haymish

Post by haymish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 pm

got some photo's onto photobucket-eventually-what do i do next cos forgotten :D

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Here they are :D

haymish

Post by haymish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

i am glad you are an accompliced thief who can remember the password you set up for me :D
many thanks haymish.

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Sorry Hamish - it's open to everyone: http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... amish-uaz/ :)
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

haymish

Post by haymish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 pm

:lol: computer idiots havn't a clue and care less :D

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:07 pm

:lol:

haymish

Post by haymish » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:45 pm

could someone please tell me what the two 'loop' brackets are for-3rd photo down positioned directly above the front wheel hub in the photo.one on top of chassis and one underneath.cos loath to remove them incase i need them!
also sometime could someone measure the hight the chassis sits above the ground ,at rest.say to the front or rear cross member-many thanks and absolutely no need to do it tonight :D

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Bottom one is for bolting up the steering box. Not sure about the top one. I can't find one like that on mine.

It's parked on uneven ground at present so I will shift it in the morning and get some dimensions for you.

haymish

Post by haymish » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:48 pm

many thanks :D

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:48 pm

Bottom of front cross member (just behind bumper) to floor 550mm

Bottom of rear cross member (with all the circular holes in it) to floor 590mm

This may be a little low as my springs are pretty flat so it might be worth getting a second opinion. Andrew (asg) has has his springs retempered and it sits higher.

haymish

Post by haymish » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:30 pm

thanks-just needed a figure just to be sure i dont let the underbelly get too low and not really having enough bits to build up it to a rolling chassis easier to ask-also didn't want to build it up ,to measure it,then have to dissassemble straight away :roll:

haymish

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

if ditch does his duty there are some photo's on bucket thing to put up.underbelly progressed over the Bah Humbug period.i'm actually got further back than photo's.just got to the lastcouple of feet and contemplating the propshaft/propellor.can anyone tell me which way a standard propeller turns[owned several boats and havn't a clue :oops: ]got to start cutting holes in it soon :shock: for the two propshafts to wheels and for propellor.will be pondering /measuring long and hard before i cut it tho cos really got to get it right first time :? once got right to back will smooth out the new metal cos at moment looks like a 1970's firehood but didn't do it yet till all welded up cos of distortion during welding-and also will change shape a bit as i beat it anyway so welded it up first so it is'contained'.also a nasty little rodent ate a hole in my steel shot filled leather bumper :x .then it will be going out sideways making wheel arches and rest of the floorpan that sits outside the chassis.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:37 pm

Here ya go:

les ward

Post by les ward » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:50 pm

is it staying 4x2 running the series 3 engine and box?

haymish

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 pm

4x4 running series engine and gearbox.havn't made mind up yet whether diesel or petrol.and got choice of series 2 or 3 gearboxes.