lookeelikee gaz 46 amphib

If your renovating or modifying your vehicle add some details here.

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Re: lookeelikee gaz 46 amphib

Post by Abrs » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

The series 2A box is far superior to the series 3 box, it uses proper gears for starters rather than the fragile star wheels, these disintegrate easily and load the oil with swarf which is why the bearings always fail in the series 3 box.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

haymish
No.1 Gaz Research Engineer and Silver Surfer

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm

yup 11a box way better-and something pretending to be a late '40's early 50's russkie amphib should at least have some of the gears in crash box mode :)

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 pm

looks like there has already been a fair amount of panel beating ! - everytime I see that chassis I just want to get the sandblaster out :x .
Rob

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Rob Reznik wrote:looks like there has already been a fair amount of panel beating ! - everytime I see that chassis I just want to get the sandblaster out :x .
Rob you have a bad fetish there - I never want to stand around too long in one spot at your workshop in case I end up getting blasted too :D :wink:
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

haymish

Post by haymish » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 am

had concidered giving it a blast off once finished the floor pan rob.as for the panel beating that really is only roughed out-could make it as smooth as the proverbial babies bum but seeing as how it is going to be mostly out of sight it will get tidyed up instead.
been directed to this web site for a much easier way to build an amphib. www.searoader.com -good way of making one ,much easier than doing it the ruskie way-but the end product has the grace of mike tyson.when this one done might try one like that but give it some grace and curves,instead of being a floating brick with a shed on top .apparently the same bloke built the pickup for top gear wot swum the channel.

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 am

If I remember rightly it sank didn't it? :lol:

Mark Twain

longstroke

Post by longstroke » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 am

You're half right, it made it accross the Channel.

But did you see the previous series with it on a river/lake?
Clarkson giving it maximum with a pretty big outboard, and then it capsizing???

Cool recovery/salvage job.

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:15 am

Sorry, I was thinking of the VW thing :lol:

But yes I do remember the other episode now you mention it :D :roll:

Mark Twain

haymish

Post by haymish » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:14 pm

got caught out today by the high class precision engineering so often displayed on russkie trucks :x .made a section to go across the back rail of the uaz chassis-quite wiggly and not having a giant russian steam powered press to make it i did it in 3 sections and welded it together-offered it up and it was off centre :shock: -thought i'd inbibed too much sloe gin and cocked up so was highly unamuzed cos taken quite a long time to build.started measuring up to see where i had gone wrong -to find i hadn't.the lovely russkies have not put the towing hitch centrally in the back rail :x an inch out so my piece looked stupid if central.but back looked stupid if i lined it up with the towing hitch point. so bit of reworking and everything is now 1/2 an inch out and looks ok-i can imagine a lot of 'adjustments' are carried out in the factory as vehicles are assembled,thanks to their awesome quality control.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm

If it's off-centre to the left it may be to make more space for a trailer hitch away from the spare wheel.
http://www.gaz66.co.uk
Gaz 66, Uaz 469, Ural M63, Trabi x 2

haymish

Post by haymish » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 pm

it is to the left-by a smidgims short of an inch.should really have noticed before i started the panel but towing hitches should be in the middle-one would have thought,at least i did :?

47chief

Post by 47chief » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 pm

really interested in amphibs,and really good to see someone building there own,i attend the international amphib as often as i can,and have been lucky to be involved with two gaz 46,one is owned by two german friends from dortmund,it,s a superb back to stock resto and gets used hard,the next one comes from friesland and is pretty stock with a punk rock/military paint job-and my favourite has volvo diesel power and is run by my crazed viking farmer friends from sweden.
one of the best working and most reliable amphibs i have been out on was entirely handmade by a good friend in northampton.
one day!!-i hope to build a 4x4 amphib,but current projects own all my time and money.
be great to hear how this build has progressed-
i may need forgiveness for digging up 'old threads'

im a bit of a [proud] p c neanderthal

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm happy someone is reading the old posts. There is a wealth of useful info and interesting stories buried in the forum.
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

haymish

Post by haymish » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:23 am

now the nights drawing in i will be attacking it soon.

ussrjeppi

Post by ussrjeppi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:08 am

so where is the gaz 46 made by you hamish
Everyone should own a Soviet made car

haymish

Post by haymish » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:18 am

about 1/3rd built and sitting in my garage waiting for me to build some more bodywork-but as said long dark winter nights coming and that's when it gets worked on.actually dug it out and got it ready for work a couple of weeks ago.

ussrjeppi

Post by ussrjeppi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:19 pm

so how is the project going .
Everyone should own a Soviet made car

haymish

Post by haymish » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 pm

slowly doing bits-havn't had much time to spare recently.got a propellor sorted and found a shaft for it that doesn't need much adapting to fit to gearbox.rebuilt a series 11a gearbox for it over winter . when i've finished the current lot of work planning to spend a week at it.but at moment fully occupied fabricating a full floor pan,inner/outer sills,wheel arches,door bottoms etc for an nsu prinz.lotsa grief cos for half of it just working of photo's cos no original metal left on the car :( but well paid :D