Clutch friction plate thickness

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

texas pete

Clutch friction plate thickness

Post by texas pete » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:06 am

Ok, so on inspection of the clutch system on the BRDM on returning from Beltring on sea, it appears that the friction plate is slipping due to getting too thin. So I'm planning to remove it and reline it.

However, I'm struggling to find what thickness the material on the friction plate needs to be?

I know the plate diameter is 300mm, could it be a similar or same as the Gaz 66?
BRDM-2rkh
Looking for a Maz 543 with kung body, please pm me if you know of one for sale

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Re: Clutch friction plate thickness

Post by Abrs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:50 am

It's not that critical, the clutch pressure plate has adjustment on the release arms which allows for variable thickness's, these need to set so there's a clearance of a few MM between the ends of the arms and the release bearing, actually it's worth checking first before you strip the clutch out that there is indeed a gap, as when the the clutch wears the arms move closer to the release bearing until eventually they come to rest on it which then of course allows the clutch to slip, if this is the case you will probably find you can adjust it and it will be fine again for a long time.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

gaz 66

Post by gaz 66 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:40 pm

Hello,
texas pete wrote:... could it be a similar or same as the Gaz 66?
I heard about several cases where the original engine in GAZ 66 had been replaced by the engine for a BDRM which is said to have a Little bit more power and fits in perfectly.

From this point it sounds very realistic that the parts from GAZ 66 will fit.

Good luck!

Marcus
After coffee is before coffee...
GAZ 66 blog from Marcus and Iris

jamie_grieve

Post by jamie_grieve » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:24 am

I have a new clutch plate for a GAZ 66 in stock unless it went down to Zoltan with the V8 diesel?
I can get one of the lads to measure it up or even send it down? I doubt I'll use it, if all the planets align properly I might have a diesel in there before the end of the current millennium. Curiously the clutch splines from the GAZ 66 fit perfectly on the 5 speed ZF box I was going to use with the diesel.

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi

GAZ 66 use the same clutch (plate)disc pad for clutch disc as BRDM 2 , but clutch disc is different . BRDM 2 has "heavy duty " clutch disc type.
BRDM 2 clutch cover/pressure plate has "heavy duty" coil springs as well.

http://www.autosoft.ru/online/acat/?idg ... =4&atype=1

texas pete

Post by texas pete » Thu May 26, 2016 10:05 am

Hi, just to close my question and for information, I've ordered a new clutch in, the disk is 12mm thick.
Thanks for all the help and replies!
BRDM-2rkh
Looking for a Maz 543 with kung body, please pm me if you know of one for sale