Dead Duck or…

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

portamurda1

Dead Duck or…

Post by portamurda1 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:45 pm

Other than the ‘resources’ of manuals and past threads of vehicle rescue, maintenance and repair, is the forum now just an archive…where are you all, Facebook, Instagram, tictok…? I understand that social media is now the norm, but wehn you see those platforms now losing participants what will be the new best thing?
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Panda 4x4s ‘fousands of em’
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

Grommet1

Re: Dead Duck or…

Post by Grommet1 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:56 pm

I'm still here! 😁 Not into Facebook or Twitter etc
Gaz 66 1968
Daimler V8 250 1969
Beetle 1302 1972
Jaguar xk8 1998
Honda CRV 2001
Jaguar X type 2006
Gpz 305 1988
and a lawnmower...

acmatman

Post by acmatman » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:24 am

not gone away ? :sick:

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:01 pm

Must be just us technophobes X_X
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:56 pm

I am still here! Just busy touring Spain in my Gaz 66 with the misses and cat. So not been commenting on the site for a bit.
Follow us on FB two geese and a gaz
instagram 2 geese and a gaz

The truck is registered as a Gaz 66 Motorcaravan and we are using it as such to explore Europe

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:56 pm

Gareth wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:56 pm
I am still here! Just busy touring Spain in my Gaz 66 with the misses and cat. So not been commenting on the site for a bit.

The truck is registered as a Gaz 66 Motorcaravan and we are using it as such to explore Europe
Not on Facebook, got bored with ‘look what I had for breakfast and look at my cat doing things that all cats do’ and got barred from twitter for telling musk to take a spacewalk sans breathing gear
Happy travelling…
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:56 pm

Gareth wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:56 pm

Not on Facebook, got bored with ‘look what I had for breakfast and look at my cat doing things that all cats do’ and got barred from twitter for telling musk to take a spacewalk sans breathing gear
Happy travelling…
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

texas pete

Post by texas pete » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:33 pm

I'm still here too. Though not getting much of a chance to check the forum these days. Definitely not using Facebook, you can't archive info. It'll expire, so sticking here.
If anything, a few of us BRDM2 owners have a WhatsApp group to share our vehicle toils and projects. But again you can't archive bits of information and segment details.
BRDM-2rkh
Looking for a Maz 543 with kung body, please pm me if you know of one for sale

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:39 pm

texas pete wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:33 pm
I'm still here too. Though not getting much of a chance to check the forum these days. Definitely not using Facebook, you can't archive info. It'll expire, so sticking here.
If anything, a few of us BRDM2 owners have a WhatsApp group to share our vehicle toils and projects. But again you can't archive bits of information and segment details.
I ditched all FB linked/owned platforms so swapped from WhatsApp to Signal, it doesn’t keep or share data and it’s totally free
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:50 pm

Thought I'd just pop my head in to say hello! How's everyone doing these days? It's been a while :)
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:53 pm

Grommet1 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:56 pm
I'm still here! 😁 Not into Facebook or Twitter etc
A long while…
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:05 pm

Yeah, I suppose it is :blushing:

Good to see some of the old gang are still here, so what's everyone been up to? Anybody bought anything interesting lately? :)
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:20 pm

Abrs wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:05 pm

Good to see some of the old gang are still here, so what's everyone been up to? Anybody bought anything interesting lately? :)
No, I’ve been banned until I get my long standing (ie put to one side) projects finished…although I have got a cat n panda cross that I need to get on the road (my Cherokee XJ does the infamous ‘passes everything except petrol stations)…but no new/old military stuff
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:00 pm

I have not posted much because there is no coverage in the Sahara! Been in the desert playing with the truck, got 3 months in Morocco. We have been in minus6 to desert. We´ve had ice on the windows inside a few times! Got stranded in a town due to heavy rain and horrendous weather. Dry rivers up to 10m deep. We got out of the second desert trip by the skin of our teeth. The old Gaz66 keeps on going. In Agadir at the moment before we head off to Tizi n Test(in the book of most dangerous roads) in the Atlas mountains, just waiting for the snow to clear a little first

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:20 pm

portamurda1 wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:20 pm
Abrs wrote:

No, I’ve been banned until I get my long standing (ie put to one side) projects finished…although I have got a cat n panda cross that I need to get on the road (my Cherokee XJ does the infamous ‘passes everything except petrol stations)…but no new/old military stuff
I know that situation quite well, but sometimes I'm glad my other half keeps me on the straight and narrow or I'd have more stuff than I could fit on the place. Just for fun I've been buying the odd car from copart etc. Mostly non runners or those with minimal accident damage. It's been really interesting working on newer motors. One thing I've concluded from the experience though is that all modern cars are designed by the same people! :D Engine wise there's very little between any of them now, full of cheap and nasty looking components that look like they've come from China, there's nothing substantial about modern engines whatsoever.

Mark Twain

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:23 pm

Gareth wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:00 pm
I have not posted much because there is no coverage in the Sahara! Been in the desert playing with the truck, got 3 months in Morocco. We have been in minus6 to desert. We´ve had ice on the windows inside a few times! Got stranded in a town due to heavy rain and horrendous weather. Dry rivers up to 10m deep. We got out of the second desert trip by the skin of our teeth. The old Gaz66 keeps on going. In Agadir at the moment before we head off to Tizi n Test(in the book of most dangerous roads) in the Atlas mountains, just waiting for the snow to clear a little first
That sounds like the type of adventure that should be well logged on video! I love watching people who just get out there and do it. Have you been okay with regards to breakdowns etc?

Mark Twain

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:09 pm

Abrs wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:20 pm
portamurda1 wrote:
Abrs wrote:

I know that situation quite well, but sometimes I'm glad my other half keeps me on the straight and narrow or I'd have more stuff than I could fit on the place. Just for fun I've been buying the odd car from copart etc. Mostly non runners or those with minimal accident damage. It's been really interesting working on newer motors. One thing I've concluded from the experience though is that all modern cars are designed by the same people! :D Engine wise there's very little between any of them now, full of cheap and nasty looking components that look like they've come from China, there's nothing substantial about modern engines whatsoever.
Or reinventing old engines with new technology that don’t work well together…especially with small engines running big cars and ‘claiming’ ridiculous mpg figures…a friend had one of those tiny 1.0l Ford focus and regretted every minute of its lease and exchanged it a year early for a Citroen
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 pm

Reliabilty wise with the truck has been good so far. We have been permanately on the road for 5 months and travelled about 5000kms. Had a flat tyre due to a CTIS valve leaking, a misfire/backfire, which was the rotor arm , worn brushes on the dynamo and a flat battery caused by the wiper motor!? Dumped 5l of oil from the oil cooler pipe (easy fix)
Its proving reliable although a little thirsty for fuel and tyres. oh and slow!!
The off road capability is incredible, I have a 300tdi which would not get anywhere near the Gaz. We have driven deep sand, sand dunes, mud, water (up to the bumper) and it keeps plodding away.
Morocco is a practice for the future, we have a few distant destinations on the bucket list.
We have just travelled the Tizi n Test pass 2100m, it´s in the book World´s Most Dangerous Roads. We have done all 3 roads in Morocco, now listed in this book.
We are currently in the High Atlas heading north on the non tourist route.
If you are Facebook, checkout; Two geese and a gaz
or Instagram 2 geese and a gaz

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:23 pm

portamurda1 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:09 pm
Abrs wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:20 pm
portamurda1 wrote:

Or reinventing old engines with new technology that don’t work well together…especially with small engines running big cars and ‘claiming’ ridiculous mpg figures…a friend had one of those tiny 1.0l Ford focus and regretted every minute of its lease and exchanged it a year early for a Citroen
Ohh jeez, those things. I don't even bother pulling the head off them when they blow now. I just stick a K seal in it and they're usually good to go. Almost every one I've come across as a non runner has been due to blown head gasket/cracked head. It's almost a given that's what's going to be wrong with it! To be fair though, for a little 995cc three pot engine they do pull surprisingly well! That big @ss turbo probably helps, it certainly does wonders for the coolant system :))

Mark Twain

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Gareth wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 pm
Reliabilty wise with the truck has been good so far. We have been permanately on the road for 5 months and travelled about 5000kms. Had a flat tyre due to a CTIS valve leaking, a misfire/backfire, which was the rotor arm , worn brushes on the dynamo and a flat battery caused by the wiper motor!? Dumped 5l of oil from the oil cooler pipe (easy fix)
Its proving reliable although a little thirsty for fuel and tyres. oh and slow!!
The off road capability is incredible, I have a 300tdi which would not get anywhere near the Gaz. We have driven deep sand, sand dunes, mud, water (up to the bumper) and it keeps plodding away.
Morocco is a practice for the future, we have a few distant destinations on the bucket list.
We have just travelled the Tizi n Test pass 2100m, it´s in the book World´s Most Dangerous Roads. We have done all 3 roads in Morocco, now listed in this book.
We are currently in the High Atlas heading north on the non tourist route.
If you are Facebook, checkout; Two geese and a gaz
or Instagram 2 geese and a gaz
Pretty minor problems then really considering the distance it's doing!

I don't actually do FB or Instagram, but I'll get the missus to fetch it up for me :D

Does it get you a lot of attention from either the public or authorities in certain countries?

I'd really love to do this type of thing myself. I'd even started converting my old Tatra and getting it ready for such a journey but my health is not the best at the moment. I did my back in a while ago and I'm waiting on a second round of surgery to rectify the current problem. So being realistic, I don't think I'm going to be fit enough to live with the Tatra out in the wild for a little while yet 8-| maybe one day though....

Mark Twain