Gaz-69 for daily use

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Guillaume

Gaz-69 for daily use

Post by Guillaume » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi!

Is there anybody here using a GAZ-69 in ‘real life’ (aka not only special events, but stuff like travelling and grocery shopping...)?

I’m struggling to find a decent UAZ-469, and one just came up for sale. So I was thinking of giving it a go.
I have no experience in mechanics but ready to learn. I’ve found an instruction manual in English on another website and maintenance and use seems quite time-consuming but not too difficult.

Any input on that?

Also, do you have an idea of its fuel consumption? I can’t find this figure anyway. Would you say it’s over 20 litres/100km?

iannima

Re: Gaz-69 for daily use

Post by iannima » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:59 pm

welcome to this band of brothers :-BD

If you want information more specific to the UAZ-469, we have a dedicated section:
viewforum.php?f=48

The UAZ-469 is of course the successor to the GAZ-69 and vehicles built in the 1970s are going to have similar characteristics and in fact share quite a few parts (e.g. brake master cylinder etc.). But over the years the 469 was refined somewhat. So I suspect that as a daily drive the exact model will make quite a difference. The 69 is noisy... as in NOISY :(( and that becomes tiresome over longer journey. It is fine over shorter distance (I wear a tanker's helmet :-B )

Fuel consumption will vary because the engines in the 69, 469, and 3152 are actually different and greater power will correspondingly lead to better fuel consumption provided one is sensible when driving. The figure you quote (20 l/100Km) or 5 Km/l is when things are not right and need investigating. With my 69 I get something in between 6 and 7 Km/l (respectively 17 and 14.3 litres per 100 Km). That's true on the 69. All the more should it be on the 469. So it should be better than what you quote if things are right.