Long Range Cruise setting

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Kozchik1

Long Range Cruise setting

Post by Kozchik1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 pm

As a aviatior i would like to know what you guys think is a good long range cruise setting.

What i mean is at what rev’s/speed do i get the best performance and least ware on the engine.

I asking this because i am planning a long range trip soon.
Planning to do 900 kms in 3 days.

And yes i know ....earplugs are a must 😂😂😂

Offcourse i know there are many variables.
But what would you consider good “air”manship on the Gazik

iannima

Re: Long Range Cruise setting

Post by iannima » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:30 pm

I should preface this by confessing that I have never attempted to drive such a distance myself. The longest trip I have done with the GAZ was 150 Km with my old (worn out) engine, so many things are different. I have however talked with several German friends who have driven their GAZ from the south-eastern corner of the former DDR all the way to Kent in the UK.

A newly refurbished engine, like yours will be, should be under no strain provided you keep a steady speed of 70Kmh or so. You should be able to take it up to 75 and occasionally 80 Kmh if the traffic -briefly- demands it. But I have always been advised not to try anything higher for any prolonged period of time. The GAZ was not built for motorways so reconcile yourself with the fact that the big lorries are going to overtake (and swear at) you. In such a situation it may be better to force them to overtake you by going slower, rather than having one right against your tow hitch, thinking that pushing will help... :-w Your maximum affordable speed will nonetheless be a slow one for everyone else.

If this big trip you refer to is your taking the vehicle home from Tarmot :-o I would certainly advise you to take a few days around Tarmot to familiarise yourself with what the engine can and cannot do. I think you have had it rebored or with new piston rings, so some running in is advisable. The manual talks about 1,000 Km running in with maximum speed of 50Kmh but that's -quite frankly- impossible. I could not do that with my newly refurbished engine and tried to keep at 60-65 Kmh (not on motorways).

I would certainly recommend that you plan to stop for quite a bit several times on the way. The GAZ is tiring because of the noise but also because keeping the foot down on the accelerator all the time becomes a strain. I have known of people, switching the "cruise control" on = pulling out the hand throttle :)) I have worked out that I need to drive it with thick rubber soles boots because, over time, the engine heats up everything and the accelerator pedal feels like it is burning a hole into my foot.

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
The longest i ever drove it in one stretch was 120 kms.
I am planning on doing 3 hops of 300 km per day.
That way me and the gaz gets some rest.
The engine has been rebored and new cylinder rings have been added. Actually it got new cylinders aswell.

I am planning to stay on B roads all the way.
I let them put in a USB socket also (hidden out of view) to put my navigation system on :-p.

What about rpm’s ? Is there a never exceed speed for them?

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Offcourse it will be difficult to tel rpm’s without a gauge 😝

iannima

Post by iannima » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Yes without a gauge checking your rpm is a bit tricky :))
The best you can do is what I did some years ago here, working it out on the basis of the speed and gear selected:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6677

I think my calculations were right but I stand to be corrected :whistle: Bear in mind that so much depends on tyre sizes. And even if you have the original 6.50 16 the actual measurements vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think you have the Fedima Maxima as I do :-B How they compare with the original I could not say.

Bottom line will be the same though: 3,800-4,000 rpm = bad idea X_X

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks Matteo !

That tabel you made is very handy i am going to print and plastify it and keep it on the dash 😃.

The Vne ( speed never exceed) is 70 km in third.
And keep the revs modest at all times.
All makes so much sense but i am just baffled about the factory speeds.

Even if the engine and train could handle it , the vibration and fluffy steering would be hair raising to say at least.
To say the least about the sound, it will be like standing next to a lancaster bomber at idle without earmuffs

iannima

Post by iannima » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Is there a (tentative) date for this epic trip? :-BD

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Well inmight be able to trail it home afterall.
That will save a heck of a lot of gasoline 😆.

Plus your info made me think that such a long trip might be a bit of a strain for the”new” powertrain.

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 pm

You want to join up for the epic route of field
Marshall zhukov to berlin??? That is my initial plan. Drive the seelow heights- cross the oder- onward to berlin etc

But again the trailer option is a more realistic plan.
And i might stick with that.

iannima

Post by iannima » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:23 am

Would love to join such an epic trip :-BD but I know I could never afford the time this year. I was going to say that we wanted many pics of it :clap:
It is perfectly possible to do long journeys in a GAZ-69, but it certainly requires some experience and patience. Many years ago I met a couple of ex-Soviet officers who had driven an immaculate GAZ-69A from Moscow all the way to the War & Peace show in Kent (UK) :-o I think this is their page documenting the feat:
http://gaz21.ru/articles/misc/146-fotoo ... gliju.html
So it can be done. Having said this, each one of our vehicles is a bit different, and therefore knowledge of the vehicle itself, which takes time to build, is essential.