Gaz undergoing heavy inspection

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Kozchik1

Gaz undergoing heavy inspection

Post by Kozchik1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Hello fellow Gazaholics

It has been a few months now since my last update , but i am happy to write that goat is undergoing heavy maintenance now for a few months.
The plan is to do a complete overhaul of engine, drive train ,and give the body a nice new fresh coat of paint.
I decided to do this when i bought mine in May , Goat was a good Goat ..say 70% but i wanted it to be 100%

So i decided to plan ahead a mayor overhaul and i ended up with the guys from Tarmot in poland to do the job.
They are very skilled people and have the know how of eastern block 4x4 's.

There is a small two man operation in the Netherlands that are somewhat affiliated with tarmot in Poland , and they were so kind to put goat on a trailor and drive it to Poland, as they were picking up two buhanka's to bring back to holland.

I flew ahead because i had some things of my own to do in Poznan.
One of the things was to find the grave of a fallen family member from the sovjet army that died at the pozan citadel siege in WW-2 in february 1945.
It was a interesting journey indeed. Poznan is a very nice city Btw.

My visit to the garage of Tarmot was very nice.
Friendly people that are skilled
Some of them have polish army maintenance experience.
Some of them even worked on Gaz 69 in their army days.

The owner of the garage told me that the maintenance crew does everything more or less on their own speed.
They are not superfast but very very skilled and he was very happy with them.

He had a hard time finding new skilled youth to join his team because most youngsters that leave mechanics school do not have the skill to really go deep in to technical problems. They learn how to replace complete modules in stead of fixing what is wrong inside the module.
A well known problem in these modern times indeed. The old fashioned car mechanic is a endangered species.
Also young mechanics feel more with the modern/sporty/luxury brand cars , and not soo much with classics.

It was clear that goat had been under going some earlier repairs that i did not know of.
The good thing about overhauling is it will make hidden problems or past actions surface.

Goats crankshaft already had some modifications/repairs/tunings in the past and it needed to be replaced.

The secondary fuel tank was never connected to the fuel system :-)))) luckely i never used or filled it before ..simply because i did not drive as much as i would have wanted this year.

So the maint.plan is as follows

Engine overhaul
Complete powertrain overhaul
Axles overhaul
complete new coat of paint

Items that i want to be installed most already bought earlier

Trailor hitch
Search light
Original blinkers
turn indicator switch on the steering wheel
Dashboard plackards
Shovel holder on the side
Jerrycan holder on the back
A new tent cover

And some more things...
All in all i want goat to be better than when it left the factory line :=) and to return it as much as possible in its original state.
My goal is to go on camping trips in europe and offcourse i want to visit the UK next year with the anul meeting you guys organize.

photo's to follow

greeting from Holland

Arjan

Kozchik1

Re: Gaz undergoing heavy inspection

Post by Kozchik1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Last edited by Kozchik1 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Last edited by Kozchik1 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:08 am

hehehe Sorry it took me some time to figure out how to get better pictures on here :ban
Just klick on the pic for the library

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 am

I was going to suggest that you needed to figure out how to post bigger pics. Glad you got there on your own :clap:

I am sure you already know, but you have the 2.43 engine with 88 mm pistons. They will obviously know that at Tarmot. Are you going for a rebore?

The feature I was looking for to identify the engine is visible below: the little 'dot' in between the (balked) fuel pump and the oil pump on the cylinder block, indicates a 2.43 engine. It would also be visible on the part number cast on the other side next to the distributor starting with either "21" or "450". I am sure you knew this already. :-B

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:18 am

I was intrigued to see that you have an electric fuel pump. There has been endless debate on the merits of one on the German forum, with stern supporters and force critics %-( :-ss How did you find it? or have you not driven the GAZ that much to notice?

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:20 am

That's a new canvas :-BD Is this the colour it is going to have? Or are you changing the shade of green?

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:25 am

And I agree: those square indicators are ugly

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Hahaha..yep i dont know what the prior owners were thinking of
These shoebox sized blinkers even made the veterans at tarmot cringe. I did know about the 2.4 engine yes, and the electric fuel system is nice. Or at least it worked most of the times when i drove it. Some times it has a bit of a live of its own.

The longest drive till now has been 120 km’s to a town called zutphen. Thats were it was put on a trailor to poznan.
It was exciting to say the least, coolant spill over via the overflow tube. Engine getting toasty.

Turned out the whole cooling pump section was garbage.
It worked...but barely. Could not find any leaks.
Later on in Poland the mechanic showed me the whole cooling pump could be moved from the engine block by hand.
Lots of loose bolts..... Now i know were the grinding noise came from. The whole cooling power train was hanging on for dear live.

It was stupid of me to never test for loose items.
But again I am a bit of a rookie in the field of classic cars.
I am learning...And i am sure i will learn it the hard way too.
Goat has been performing like a champ the times i did get to drive it. But Man that fuel consumption :-))))

The tent was indeed new...but it is a piece of crap , the back is already torn and the clip holes dont align at all. So already ordered a new sand colored one at Jan Nekvazil. Already have a bikini top from them and the quality and fit is superb compared to that ukrainian top.

The color is going to be the darker green version.
When i looked at some chipped of parts i noticed it look like one these color changing candies. Metal / primer/ dark green/ Grey/ and this color green.

The grey color surprised me , it could be a primer but it looked to shiny. I mentioned earlier that i suspect that goat got out of active service and was sold to a civilian in the DDR.
Thats what it looks like on the original DDR paper work that came with it. It looks like transfer papers.

It seems the overhaul will be finished somewere end of this year or beginning 2019. Than i will drive my first adventure trip from poland back to holland ......in winter :-)
Last edited by Kozchik1 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:13 pm

iannima wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 am
I was going to suggest that you needed to figure out how to post bigger pics. Glad you got there on your own :clap:

I am sure you already know, but you have the 2.43 engine with 88 mm pistons. They will obviously know that at Tarmot. Are you going for a rebore?

The feature I was looking for to identify the engine is visible below: the little 'dot' in between the (balked) fuel pump and the oil pump on the cylinder block, indicates a 2.43 engine. It would also be visible on the part number cast on the other side next to the distributor starting with either "21" or "450". I am sure you knew this already. :-B

I knew about the 2.4 ..but not about how to ident it!
Thanks!!!! I feel i have alot to learn. This forum is a true treasure cove :-)

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm

I also found a army license plate and decided to restore it as it was rusty . Sandblasted it and new powdercoat

Before : Image

Aft: Image

Now to find the original numberplate brackets on top of bumper.
Last edited by Kozchik1 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Kozchik1 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm
https://retrogazparts.ru/products/18005295

B-) :-BD

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:46 pm

I am sure Tarmot know that already, but given that they have taken the head off, remind them to check the valve seat inserts. These were OFTEN changed on DDR engines (not too sure why) and are notorious for breaking free, with loss of compression, in the best cases, and fragments scoring the cylinder bores X_X in the worst ones. Somehow the problem seems to be typical of East German engines. I have never heard of it in Polish or Russian serviced GAZ-69. Given that yours is obviously DDR (or so it seems) it may be opportune to check.

The one below is being sold in Germany, but these should be available elsewhere and I would not rely on anything that might be DDR produced because of this known problem.

https://www.sausewind-shop.com/ventilsi ... slass.html
Last edited by iannima on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 pm

iannima wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 pm
Kozchik1 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm
https://retrogazparts.ru/products/18005295

B-) :-BD

Super!!!! Thanks!!!
And i will inform tarmot... i am sure they know but better to make sure.

iannima

Post by iannima » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Forgot to say: I like your tyres :-BD but I may be a touch biased :whistle: :-B

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:49 pm

iannima wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:15 pm
Forgot to say: I like your tyres :-BD but I may be a touch biased :whistle: :-B

Heheheh yes! They are cool and chunky looking.
The steering wheel does resonate becaus of it when on asphalt.
But thats good for the blood circulation in the hands :-BD .
Mine are still too black and clean ...i need to get some dirt on them.

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:08 pm

I was wondering about your front bumber items (i see some type of hitch or pull strut?

When i searched online for the brackets of the number plate ( found them also at avtovlassica) you see a schematic of bumper items. Like a bracket for the fronts starter for instance. But i hardly find any pics with this bracket installed?

Kozchik1

Post by Kozchik1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Ooh wait i see the bracket on the pic from the library :whistle: But the majority of pics dont show this thing installed?
Attachments
1B983CC0-6A69-4F47-A271-57BAE6887C0F.jpeg
1B983CC0-6A69-4F47-A271-57BAE6887C0F.jpeg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 454 times

iannima

Post by iannima » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:58 am

What you see on mine is the DDR offset towing pintle or recovery point, a typical East German feature. They removed the hooks on the chassis rails and put the fog lights in their place and placed the towing pintle on one of the chassis rails only. I have seen it on WH vehicles too. So evidently they thought it was a better idea that the open hooks the Russians had.

The bracket for guiding the cranking handle is an early feature that later disappears. Mine never had it. No idea why they eliminated it. I thought about re-instating it, but I would have to drill holes in the bumper for it and that's what I am not so keen on doing...