Sourcing Zuk S21 bits?

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

MasterChef

Sourcing Zuk S21 bits?

Post by MasterChef » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Hey guys, been tearing into my Gaz in the quest for further frustration and found plenty in the engine bay. Specifically I very suddenly and mysteriously lost a cylinder between short trips the other day and after eliminating the likeliest culprits I found that the cylinder 4 exhaust valve spring has broken. The valve still moves very freely which is a hopeful sign that it didn't get into the piston's way and replacing the spring may be all it needs.

The problem is that my English is great, my German passable and my Polish is that special "Google Translate" variety of rusty. I understand the S21 is a pretty common swap for these vehicles and I was hoping for some direction on where I may source something like that.

Additionally I'm trying to ID my carb and locate a rebuild kit for it. It proclaims "Made in Czechoslovakia" proudly on the side and has an "Ikov" logo/text on the front.

Thanks for the help guys,
Cody
Ich bin das Update, Meisterkoch Eins punkt Eins.

Eastblock

Re: Sourcing Zuk S21 bits?

Post by Eastblock » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:09 pm

It's a Jikov carb and parts are probably hard to come by. It will be a lot easier to swap it for a Weber 34ICH carb. They are not expensive. The Weber DGAV used on the Ford Pinto also works well on the S21 engine.

Try tarmot.pl for s21 engine spares.

iannima

Post by iannima » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:00 pm

I have no Polish either... but perhaps this might help at least as a start for someone to ask to... :-ss

http://allegro.pl/zamek-sprezyna-miska- ... 36251.html

tascabe

Post by tascabe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:48 am

MC - I think I even have a sparkly new Weber 34ICH carb that I got for my GAZ but never swapped over - the electric fuel pump fixed most of my issues with that.

MasterChef

Post by MasterChef » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Cool, thanks for the leads guys. I may take you up on that Tascabe, the carb didn't like to idle and regardless what adjustments I made it seemed to be running rich-not difficult with that pathetic little stand in air filter but still.

Next question, slightly related- I have two of the EG bumper lights, one in ok shape and one is missing some rather important parts. Any knowledge where I might find a replacement or the front lens bit for one? OR at least search terms to get me on track? Couldn't find a model number or anything on either light.

iannima

Post by iannima » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:24 pm

You need to search for "DDR Nebelscheinwerfer" on Ebay.de:
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw=gaz ... r&_sacat=0
You already have the military casing. You basically need one of the round fog lights.

MasterChef

Post by MasterChef » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:58 pm

Cool, thanks for the help.

MasterChef

Post by MasterChef » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:27 am

Just an update on how things are going on my gaz.

For those of you not on the Facebook group, these photos are new. Got the engine purring like a kitten, cleaned up the engine bay pretty well and have been puttering around terrorizing the neighbors with the gaz. Still need to do some carb work, there's a few electrical gremlins, etc. but by and large it is going well.

I've got plans to do little incremental stuff as time goes on, new seats in the back, new cover and repaired or replicated frame. That sort of thing.

I'm a completionist so I am on the hunt for a gaz or uaz trailer to pair it with eventually.

Yurgen

Post by Yurgen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Nice camo, did you made it?

iannima

Post by iannima » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:11 am

Well he must have painted it himself :-BD
It is not made up though...in the very last stages of the NVA, they started experimenting with a three colour camouflage. Its implementation was not widespread and not consistent, but it did happen. :-B

MasterChef

Post by MasterChef » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:43 am

Previous owner actually, but I helped him do it. Somewhere way back we found the pattern for the green-brown-tan pattern for the gaz 69 in a manual, and the order to modify to grey-green-black because there wasn't enough contrast to the other. Order was issued a month after the manual was published. So no, not made up.

We've got a commo robur that we found in a field over here that went through overhaul in Oct. 1989, it was painted 3 color and still had its roundels. We painted this to match it for the Operation Eastwind events.

I don't trust myself painting camo patterns without a color by numbers sheet, so this is the one I mocked up in MS Paint. That white one above is for whitewashing it in winter, which we have done as well!

I need to pick up roundels and a fording marker for the fender, I've got GT plates and the DDR oval mounted to magnets so I can stick them on for displays but keep them nice when I drive off-road.

Here's the pattern, you guys will have to judge how well I followed it ;)

MasterChef

Post by MasterChef » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:51 pm

More pictures of this pattern stolen shamelessly from the internet.

Color wise, in person the grey is light but not nearly as bright as it appears on that brdm or my pictures. The IFA picture is probably closest to true color for mine.

The grey breaks up the vehicle really well at night, but it is pretty noticeable during the day.

MasterChef

Post by MasterChef » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:38 am

Man, talk about a necro-post!

So, managed years ago to lose track of my password to this forum, and then sort of forgot to update here for a few years. But, the Gaz is going well! I sourced a UAZ 8109 trailer for sale by some random person who had it behind a jeep CJ2A, and took a friend on an impromptu 2 day round trip to go fetch it before it disappeared back into the wild.

12 hour drive 1 way, but it was worth it

Shortly after that I was hit with COVID19 and then it reached -25F/-31C here for a day, and we got tons of snow, etc. But today was nice, and I had it off, so I went about doing some work on the truck! Started with some much needed general maintenance, the GAZ had sat since I drove it to my new house about 5 months ago, and was displeased to be idle so long. I'm looking at new tires for the truck, plus should get matching tires on the trailer. Gonna be expensive.

Pulled out into the light

Onto the trailer, some aggressive sanding on the tailgate revealed what I suspected, Iraqi tan over NVA green under all that silver paint. Of the 4 GAZ/UAZ trailers I know of in the US, every one seems to have been an Iraqi one captured during Desert Storm, brought here and then sold as surplus sometime after. As an aside, I don't think I've ever sanded anything that seemed as sketchy as Iraqi military paint before....even the Russian, Romanian, Polish and German paints I've dealt with in this restoration were several tiers higher quality than this.

I hate whoever painted this thing silver. This is the Iraqi Tan, the German Green is visible elsewhere

Anyway, lots of deep pitting rust on this thing, and I can't tackle the big stuff until I get my upright compressor sorted and sandblaster up at my new house, but I did pull all the reflectors, lights and other doodads off in preparation for that eventuality. Of the reflectors only one is busted, though none of them are very, uhh, reflective. Gonna try headlight restorer's paste and some elbow grease and see if I can bring them back.

2 white, 2 orange and 2 red triangle thingies

Finished the day out by priming and painting the tailgate, which is the only part even close to ready for paint at this stage, but it made me feel better about the amount of work yet to do.

I let that sit in the fading sun and took the GAZ for a spin to make sure it was running strong, wound up putting a series of deep ruts in my yard as I forgot we got several feet of snow last week.

Please excuse the primer on the door, was correcting some surface rust

Finally tucked it all back in the barn for my next couple days off.

Barn is a mess, it takes a long time to sort everything after a move.