Gaz66 master brake cylinder removal

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

DougieIrish

Gaz66 master brake cylinder removal

Post by DougieIrish » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Has anyone successfully removed the newer master brake cylinder from the later cab ? I’ve got a separate slave cylinder and master brake cylinder and I’m struggling to remove the old one 😬

I had an old spare in my box of spares which I sent off to get refurbished by Past Parts in January and have literally just had it returned as they struggled getting O rings from their old suppliers.....

Thanks
1972 GAZ66
1981 UAZ452
1955 CHEVY PANEL VAN
1967 NORBSA
LANDROVER DEFENDER 130

Gaz-lad2

Re: Gaz66 master brake cylinder removal

Post by Gaz-lad2 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:21 pm

I don't know if this will be of any help at all, but when I had my Gaz 66, it was brake and clutch cylinder together with single reservoir located in the dash. Accessed through the little plate on the outside near the windscreen. Hope this makes sense.

If yours in in the same place, it will be a pain. To get mine out, it was a case of, drop the steering column and take the pedal box out disconnect the cylinder and it drops down. My friend Tony did the work for me and even he, who never gets grumpy and I had never heard him swear before that, even he said it was a Fu**ing pain .

Regards

Kieran

DougieIrish

Post by DougieIrish » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks Kieran. I moved the steering column to get better access yesterday but it’s such a bloody awkward place to work !! That makes sense taking the pedal box out as I’d only disconnected the brake pedal... just going to have to attack it with a clear head 😊
1972 GAZ66
1981 UAZ452
1955 CHEVY PANEL VAN
1967 NORBSA
LANDROVER DEFENDER 130

Gaz-lad2

Post by Gaz-lad2 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:58 pm

I did forget to mention that when I tried to get access ( before Tony actually did the job ), I found it easier if I was lying on my back on the seat with my feet nearly touching the rear cab window, arching my back avoiding the dropped steering column. Strange image I know. It would also help if you have a universal joint neck or a head like an owl.

Good luck with this.

Kieran

MrRussian

Post by MrRussian » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:30 pm

Have done many of these. If you have double jointed back, hip and elbow joints and bones of rubber... Remove in situ. Otherwise, remove complete assembly. It's not that difficult really. Biggest issue is outlet pipe on the back of the master cylinder. It's still a bit of a hassle to connect outlet pipe, it's not uncommon for pipe to kinked.

Whilst assembly is out, remove and grease all bushes. Often bushes are dry, which feels like a stiff brake pedal. Also, check bottom flexi hose, quite often it's cracked.

DougieIrish

Post by DougieIrish » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks for the positive inspiration lads. I did question in my mind whether there’s little Russian mechanics for these jobs as all the Russian guys I’ve encountered are big lads... I’d contemplated opening an access panel from the front but only as a last resort. I shall persevere and hopefully have decent brakes at the end of this ordeal 😬
1972 GAZ66
1981 UAZ452
1955 CHEVY PANEL VAN
1967 NORBSA
LANDROVER DEFENDER 130