Travelling Tavern Concept

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

texas pete

Travelling Tavern Concept

Post by texas pete » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:47 pm

So some of you will know that over lockdown I've been working on a Travelling Tavern concept using the kung module on the back of a MAZ 543 truck chassis.
My base objectives for it were to Primarily house a Bar and lounge space, secondly provide accommodation to sleep overnight in and thirdly, be mobile enough to travel with minimal set up/teardown... including off road which is where my project may have to live as it is slightly too big for public roads...
It's a working name, but I'm currently calling the project AMAZInn and I have launched a website to describe the project
https://www.amazinn.co.uk
I have also started a corresponding shop to help raise some funds for this project (also let me know if there any other vehicles you'd wanted to see line drawn like I've done for the Maz and my BRDM-2).
https://amazinn.myspreadshop.co.uk

I've made digital models of the vehicle and tavern layout which I'm trying to work out how to put on the website for people to view in VR.
I have also sourced quite a few manuals for the MAZ 543 which I'll see if I can share.

Please have a look and let me know what you think, would you use it? =))

Currently I still don't have a truck chassis, so any leads would be great please. I was close to securing one located in Ukraine back in February, but :((
BRDM-2rkh
Looking for a Maz 543 with kung body, please pm me if you know of one for sale

Gareth

Re: Travelling Tavern Concept

Post by Gareth » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:44 pm

It´s certainly a unique idea!
I´ve been to a lot of 4x4 weekends and they usually have a 4x4 towing a trailer, a burger van (as seen in markets) and the best was an old London bus with seating inside and out. Usually a marquee of varying size. I can see the allure of something different but the running costs would be significantly more than a more conventional setup resulting in a more expensive beer. My experience is people want everything for nothing, so a cheap beer is what needs to be provided. I think you need a niche market to make it work.

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:52 pm

Personally, I think you’re nuts
But then, aren’t we all…having stayed in a range of weird n wonderful stuff and eaten/drunk out of a lot more (the big red bus a beautiful days Gareth?!?) I think ANYTHING has a market
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Panda 4x4s ‘fousands of em’
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

texas pete

Post by texas pete » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:05 pm

Lol, I know it's a crazy idea, but I've been talking to various catering and drinks stall holders at shows since lockdown and unique appears sells more than price :-?
Not just in terms of drawing a crowd but being allowed to attend a show. Drinks and food prices at shows are then fixed/agreed amongst the traders too :-o
Beer I agree should be cheap and flow, but more so drinks for drivers. Also a cup of coffee shouldn't cost more than a slice of cake...
The Maz is really the only truck I'd go through this effort for. Also my wife has said that the only truck she'll let me buy as a second truck is a Maz... Mostly because she thinks the chances of me finding one I can acquire are remote :))
BRDM-2rkh

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:17 pm

Tell the missus
‘Be careful what you wish for’
https://mortarinvestments.eu/catalog/item/maz-537
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

acmatman

Post by acmatman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:03 am

at a width of 2.885m is it to wide to be road registered ? :sick:

texas pete

Post by texas pete » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:17 pm

Yeah it's too wide to be road registered on its own, it would need either permit orders to move on road or actually transported, which may be unfortunately easier due to business related vehicles requiring an mot... =)) There is no way I see Maz getting through that.

I've actually been over to visit the Cold War Museum in Budapest a few months ago, they have 2 Maz 537 (with the tank transport trailer) and they are some what willing to part with one. But they are too much of an original condition for me to rip apart and rebuild, also the 537 has a shorter chassis than the 543 so it would be compromise from the start...

I had the opportunity to use a BAZ 5922 chassis, but my heart just wasn't in using it. Even though logically it is more practical in being smaller but can still fit the key components I need.
BRDM-2rkh

zoltan
Site Admin

Post by zoltan » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:19 pm

Totally mad but I love it

Another option would be setting it up as an Airbnb, I would definitely have booked that up when we were looking for a different night away after getting married. Plus then you haven't got to keep moving it far. Sure Charles could be talked into that after a few beers!
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:03 pm

zoltan wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:19 pm
Totally mad but I love it

Another option would be setting it up as an Airbnb, I would definitely have booked that up when we were looking for a different night away after getting married. Plus then you haven't got to keep moving it far. Sure Charles could be talked into that after a few beers!
Firstly….you got married?!?
Secondly….if you go down that route, get Charles to rent you the land rather than ‘a gentleman’s agreement’ as we have fallen down the rabbit hole of:
It used to be permitted under ‘diversification of rural industries’…this shower of shlts in g’ment changed the rules in 2019 and told no one, even the NFU and Farmers Guardian got blind-sided…now come under business rates structure for holiday lets rather than glamping, and yes, they will investigate and are encouraging local authorities to do so to make up for revenue and budget cuts!
also lose owt on ‘portion of land not used for agri’, and they’re including our native tree and native orchard plantations…even though this is/was covered by ‘elms’ for ‘compensation and encouraging rewilding and improvements to environment’ …seems they’re doing exactly what I said they’d do, look after their big landowner mates!
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:03 pm

Anyway…you got married!?!
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

zoltan
Site Admin

Post by zoltan » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am

Yes, in September 2020. Amidst all the bullsh*t rules that they themselves ignored. Were only "allowed" 30 people X( at the reception which included the photographer
We had a great day but it wasn't what we wanted. Originally we wanted a cast of thousands including all you truck people in a field with camping beer and bonfires
:ban
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:36 pm

zoltan wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am
Yes, in September 2020. Amidst all the bullsh*t rules that they themselves ignored. Were only "allowed" 30 people X( at the reception which included the photographer
We had a great day but it wasn't what we wanted. Originally we wanted a cast of thousands including all you truck people in a field with camping beer and bonfires
You could still do that…
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

ChrisClemson

Post by ChrisClemson » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:19 pm

portamurda1 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:36 pm
zoltan wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am
You could still do that…
+1