10 year old tyres

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

zoltan
Site Admin

10 year old tyres

Post by zoltan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:43 am

I don't know anyone with tyres that are over ten years old :whistle:

"We will grant an exemption to 2 vehicle groups. Firstly, to those vehicles that are currently exempt from tyre roadworthiness regulations (including agricultural tractors that travel at low speeds) to remain consistent with existing legislation. Secondly, to those historic vehicles that are currently exempt from roadworthiness testing, providing they are not used commercially. We recognise that historic vehicles are usually well-maintained, are used infrequently and do not travel at high speeds but it is important to balance the granting of any exemptions with the safety of all road users."

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... byiYKLnlak
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Re: 10 year old tyres

Post by Abrs » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 pm

So how are they going to ensure people don't just stamp their own dates on them anyway? There's going to be plenty of ways around this for the more unscrupulous operators.

One thing it does do is it gives insurance companies more of a chance of recouping any costs from a payout from their own client, as it will be automatically assumed any tyre over ten years old will be attributed to the cause of any road incident. I suspect there's a conflict of interest with some of the people who drew up this proposed legislation given that most have connections to legal or insurance companies.

It's also great timing given the state of business's finances right now.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

zoltan
Site Admin

Post by zoltan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 am

Abrs wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 pm
So how are they going to ensure people don't just stamp their own dates on them anyway? There's going to be plenty of ways around this for the more unscrupulous operators.

I can already see the little heated stamp set on Ebay from China. Can't imagine what sort of person would do that /:)
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

steverjuk

Post by steverjuk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Or the "rent some tires for a day" service :-)

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Post by Abrs » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:36 pm

zoltan wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 am
Abrs wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 pm

I can already see the little heated stamp set on Ebay from China. Can't imagine what sort of person would do that /:)
I'd better order some tyre putty to fill in the cracks first then! :blushing:
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:01 am

I have a perfectly good set of colway remoulds that are 15 years old with absolutely no deterioration
I bought them and never fit them
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Panda 4x4s ‘fousands of em’
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff