Vehicles owned by forum members

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Re: Vehicles owned by forum members

Post by Abrs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 am

I see you are cooking again John
Yep!! :)) ;) But actually it was meant in jest, I'm sure Paul realises that, and I'm pretty sure someone in Duncan's position would never sell something like this with a known serious fault.

Boot's a nice easy repair, but yea I wouldn't be driving it anywhere without replacing it first.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:30 am

hey the issues i was concerned aboutwas this, boot hs been off for a while...so it may have lost all its diff oil...and thats one big central body of oil, if something failed in there it would be a nightmare...so my plan is to go up with mechaanic, fit boot, check oils and operation of lights and other bits then weither decide top drive it home or trailer it for more work...nothing seedy in Duncan at all...I am sure he would have been worried for me to take it without spending a bit of time sorting it out...

I too am sure that Duncan is a professional and i would trust him entirely, if he was doubtfull about driving it I will do my best to make sure its okay...before i drive it home...

200 miles for a truck like this should be n bother at all in reality, but it is a complex beast and needs it oils and other bits checking before i go flying down the M6..or is it more likely to be strolling at 40 to 45 mph...ear defenders on..

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 pm

If I do this right, before your very eyes will appear my 'Odd' trio of vehicles. Firstly the Pinzgauer, which is a bit of a 'mongrel' in that it has a 5 cyl Merc OM602 engine (very economical but slooowww) The UAZ is just the car for this area, it replaced a very capable but delicate and plasticky Suzuki Jimny 1.5DDSI (which was fast and economical) the UAZ has an Andoria n/a diesel and yep! I suppose I would wish for a turbo, the little bit of extra boost on the hills would help. The Unimog is a nice drive, capable in the woods and has a good load bed, but in all honesty if I could go back and 'do it all again' the Unimog would morph into an MB Trac, I need 3 point linkage more than I need the load bed....I also need the ability to be a loading shovel, and the MB Trac would have given me all that. Plus it is cheap as chips here to have things fabricated (things to mount to 3 point... like carrying boxes, log lifters, etc etc....

zoltan
Site Admin

Post by zoltan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 pm

The RT fairy godmother lent a hand ;)

Nice trio there BTW :D
Runners: Gaz-66
Uaz 452
110 V8 CSW on LPG
Non Runners:
110 Hardtop with no engine
Series 2A Dormobile restoration
Series 1 80" ditto

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks I didn,t want to mess with what went wrong with the pics for fear of cocking it right up!!! I have to say something though, that I doubt many of you will believe.... all Pinzgauers have this optical illusion thing, they look much bigger than they really are and I,m willing to bet that the pics have put off many an owner. The Pinz is no longer or taller than a Landrover 90.....it just looks bigger!!! On the width there is not a lot in it but the length of the UAZ is more or less that of the Pinz only an inch or so in it. In the Pics the Pinz looks to dwarf the UAZ.

duncan

Post by duncan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:03 pm

All the truck I need (I keep telling myself one is enough). The rest of the garage is full of motorcycles.

duncan

Post by duncan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Although it occasionally followed by the little trailer:

Charlesm
Site Admin

Post by Charlesm » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:09 pm

You're a lucky man :-BD
1999 Discovery 2 GS
2006 Triumph Sprint ST

Forum member's locations: http://goo.gl/maps/qSQt. Let me know if you want to be included or your location or details changed.

[RA]FW200

Post by [RA]FW200 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Very nice!
Searching for:
BRDM-2 Exhaust muffler (x2)

portamurda1

Post by portamurda1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 pm

I want one
Hotchkiss 12-2 (Kurz)
Panda 4x4s ‘fousands of em’
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Cherokee
Iveco 4x4
And agricultural stuff

duncan

Post by duncan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for the compliments ;) is it just me or did this "yet-another-image-hoster-on-the-web" remove the pics?

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 pm

I can see them OK. If you have problems have a look at PhotoBucket.com
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm

I keep looking at Tatras (it would be familiar territory after the Pinz) but a Kolos is just too big for around here, lots of TATRA 815 tippers round here.......and the odd Tatra 4x4......might look at one of them one day, may still be too big for the roads really, but they do have a certain charm.

duncan

Post by duncan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I havent found roads too small for the tatra yet (except those car-sized trails that are too small for anything larger than a cherokee), and Ive driven quite a lot of roads. The only real problem is it's turning circle, many small hairpin turns and forest roads turn into a twitch-fest.

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 am

Sadly Eastern Poland, has so many small roads and tracks (the tracks are the fun bits) I think when they make a road here they judge the width by adding the width of a FIAT 126p and x 2......even in the UAZ I have to get off the side of the road to pass any other car. The tracks are all just the width of a small Ursus tractor.....even the Unimog is too wide for some tracks.....the 'track' of the Unimog is one rear tyre width again over the Ursus tractor!!

rozsda

Post by rozsda » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:59 pm

I hope I will have a ZIL-131. I am a new member here.
Best Regards
Paul

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Welcome Rozsda, we look forward to seeing pics of your Zil.

paulob1

Post by paulob1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:25 pm

duncan is that my cargo body on your truck. I think i will once mine is done drive it over fit it on and then drive back...likely to be the best and cheapest way to go...would be a good test too...

acmatman

Post by acmatman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 am

I am now the proud owner of a ZIL 131 de contam ? :sick:

KarlJ
Site Admin

Post by KarlJ » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 am

yay! Finally! I know you've been looking for one for quite a while (I remember you looking round ours at Fantastic Days years ago).
This site can't survive without support from it's members. Please donate here: http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/donate.htm