Ural 4320 Fuel Supply problem

Moderators: Charlesm, KarlJ, zoltan

Mark Preston

Ural 4320 Fuel Supply problem

Post by Mark Preston » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:44 pm

I have noticed that if I leave the truck sitting for a couple of weeks, in order to get it started I have to use the hand pump to pump fuel back up to the engine. That seems to suggest to me that there is an air leak somewhere, air is getting in allowing the fuel to run back to the tank. I'm a bit stumped as to how to find the leak - however I suspect that it may be the hand pump itself as after a bit of vigorous pumping some fuel has leaked out from around the pump plunger. Fuel out when pumping, air in when not?

Anybody got any experience of this, ever taken the pump apart or got any ideas for finding a leak like this?

Cheers

Mark
Ural 4320, Uaz 469

Abrs
Top Banana (very helpful member)

Re: Ural 4320 Fuel Supply problem

Post by Abrs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Is it a PAL priming pump? These are prone to leaking air around the plunger seal when priming, however when the plunger is locked down the piston at the end of the plunger should block off any fuel passageways to the priming barrel.

I suggest checking all unions along the fuel line first, if all seem ok then test the priming pump, this has valves in that should prevent fuel running back unless there's an airleak prior to the pump itself, but if this is the case it should also stop the injection pump body from emptying, actually the Pal injection pumps also normally have a small one way valve on the fuel return outlet on the pump's body, this should stop the injection pump from being siphoned, are there any leaks visible around the injection pump?
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Mark Preston

Post by Mark Preston » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm not sure of the make of the pump. I'm going up to the truck this weekend so will have a look then.

If I try and start without priming, then the engine fires pretty much immediately, but after a very very short time stops again. I'm not sure if this suggests that the fuel is running back out of the injector pump too. I must admit that I find the whole thing a bit confusing as right next to the primimg pump are the two big fuel filters and I can't see how they could become drained as both the 'in' and 'out' are at the top, so the low pressure pump has only got to pull the fuel about 6".

I have replaced all the rubber pipes in the system as they were badly perished and there are no obvious leaks.

Cheers

Mark
Ural 4320, Uaz 469

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Sounds like injection pump is staying primed then, look further back.
“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”

Mark Twain

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:05 pm

I would say anywhere from the lift pump back to the tank, possibly the filter housings or at the lift pump itself.

Mark Twain

freckles

Post by freckles » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:08 am

Don't forget that filter canisters have o-rings at the canister mounting face. I KNOW for a fact that one needn't have a Russkie truck to have a broken o-ring, and they can be hard to find if one forgets they're there.
Whoops!! Is that SUPPOSED to be that color??

Mike

Mark Preston

Post by Mark Preston » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 pm

I had a good look around and can see nothing obvious, all unions are tight with no sign of any thing leaking OUT, so I'll get a replacement priming pump and see if that improves things.

Thanks for your time in posting back to me.

Mark
Ural 4320, Uaz 469

Rob Reznik
Site Admin

Post by Rob Reznik » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Is there a non return valve on the fuel line?
Rob

Mark Preston

Post by Mark Preston » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:58 am

Looking at the drawings, there appears to be one in the primer pump - but it's not 100% clear.
Ural 4320, Uaz 469

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 pm

There should also be one on the outlet port(fuel return) of the injection pump, it's usually hidden inside the banjo union.

Do you have a schematic for the fuel system on the Ural that could be posted here?

Mark Twain

Mark Preston

Post by Mark Preston » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:11 am

I do have a schematic however it doesn't mention non return valves! That makes me think that the fuel is kept 'up' by vaccumn, again pointing in the direction of a floppy priming pump... I also can't upload the relevant page as it says that the picture is too big! I'll see about hosting it myself and post a link....
Ural 4320, Uaz 469

Mark Preston

Post by Mark Preston » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:34 am

Ural 4320, Uaz 469

Abrs

Post by Abrs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

The non return valve on the injection pump should be located in the banjo union close to where No.8 is pointing to on the diagram, it should also act to stop fuel being siphoned off down the fuel return line, it's basically a spring loaded poppet/ball valve on most pumps. However from what you describe it sounds like this is working ok anyway, the injection pump is staying primed(bled) hence the engine runs ok for a while.

At a guess I would go for lift pump as the culprit, you can test it easily enough by disconnecting the pipe that goes to the filters (No.13), then try blowing back down the pipe, if the NR valves/piston in the lift pump are working you shouldn't be able to at all.

If the pump appears ok then you need to start looking further back at the other pipework/fittings.

I actually wouldn't suspect the main filter housings now, you'll notice from the diagram that these are after the lift pump(normal configuration on most diesels) and hence will be under pressure when the engine is operating, a leak here would be pretty obvious as fuel would be pumped out through it.

Mark Twain

Mark Preston

Post by Mark Preston » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:09 pm

I'll try blowing down the pipe - but as you say, that is probably the culprit. (Think I'll wait for warmer weather before wrapping my mouth around any part of the truck though).

Agree about the fine filters not being part of the problem. I was confused in an earlier post and thought the fine filters were before the LP pump.

Thanks for your time.

Mark
Ural 4320, Uaz 469